General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Issues - Low side hi and hi side low

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C Issues - Low side hi and hi side low

Just as the title states. The low pressure side is hi and the hi pressure side is low(er); damned near the same on both sides. The compressor does kick in, and the PSI does respond to this (only a few PSI).

A/C blows only air.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Well let me tell ya where I would start. Prolly pull the charge out and open the high side liquid line at the Orifice tube.

Pull the tube and inspect the screen, see if it has metal or desiccant material on it. If its clean replace the compressor and dryer assemblies then charge the system with 24ozs of 134a coolant.

If the screen is dirty COMPLETELY disassemble the ENTIRE system and clean every nook and cranny with ac safe solvent, then replace the compressor and dryer and orifice tube. Good Luck.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Well let me tell ya where I would start. Prolly pull the charge out and open the high side liquid line at the Orifice tube.

Pull the tube and inspect the screen, see if it has metal or desiccant material on it. If its clean replace the compressor and dryer assemblies then charge the system with 24ozs of 134a coolant.

If the screen is dirty COMPLETELY disassemble the ENTIRE system and clean every nook and cranny with ac safe solvent, then replace the compressor and dryer and orifice tube. Good Luck.
So you are saying its the compressor with out a doubt? What in the compressor has actually failed? The gauges respond when turning on the comp and the system only got less cold fairly slowly.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Well you could run it for a bit @ 2k rpm and see if it starts working but from those gauge reading you posted it doesn't look good. With the low side @100psi that high side should be 400 or more. Your compressor is not working very well, probably valves are damaged. That's why you should look at everything carefully before going any farther. If you put a new compressor in there and the system is full of metal or desiccant it will just fail.

My old TA had a weak compressor from the prior owner revving it to the moon with the ac on. It got cool but never cold, I used it like that for years though.

If it gets cool enough for you live with it, but those pressures say compressor trouble.

Low side should be in 25-35psi range high side 135-155 something similar

How warm was the outside air the day you checked it? Is it possible you have it way overcharged? The fact that the high side is at 150 is ok but the low side at 100 is saying either the compressor isn't pumping OR its way over charged.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 04-22-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Compressor has blown valves. Time for a compressor,drier,orifice tube and a condenser if you want to do the job right. When the compressors puke parts they stop up the condensers and you can never flush all of the junk out of them to have a effective repair.

Use only new parts do not mess with rebuilt parts they are pure crap.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Well you could run it for a bit @ 2k rpm and see if it starts working but from those gauge reading you posted it doesn't look good. With the low side @100psi that high side should be 400 or more. Your compressor is not working very well, probably valves are damaged. That's why you should look at everything carefully before going any farther. If you put a new compressor in there and the system is full of metal or desiccant it will just fail.

My old TA had a weak compressor from the prior owner revving it to the moon with the ac on. It got cool but never cold, I used it like that for years though.

If it gets cool enough for you live with it, but those pressures say compressor trouble.

Low side should be in 25-35psi range high side 135-155 something similar

How warm was the outside air the day you checked it? Is it possible you have it way overcharged? The fact that the high side is at 150 is ok but the low side at 100 is saying either the compressor isn't pumping OR its way over charged.
Deff not overcharged. Haven't put any Freon in in ages. That sounds about like my reading last I looked (before catastrophic failure). I take it that the comp is not rebuildable?

As for temp outside? Scalding hot; but thats no different than any other day. Hot or cold outside AC has always been cold. As you pointed out; its fucked...

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Compressor has blown valves. Time for a compressor,drier,orifice tube and a condenser if you want to do the job right. When the compressors puke parts they stop up the condensers and you can never flush all of the junk out of them to have a effective repair.

Use only new parts do not mess with rebuilt parts they are pure crap.
Just did this on my Yukon; yes, thats my luck.

Any recommendation on the orifice tube? IE should I get the adjustable one or OEM, or ACDelco?

I have flush for the condenser, evap, and lines. Time to go shopping for the accumulator and compressor...

Quick Reply: A/C Issues - Low side hi and hi side low