General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bent connecting rod!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bent connecting rod!

thought id spun a bearing turns out to be a bent conrod on #6 cylinder all other rods and everything appear straight just a bent rod and bent bad enough where the crank has made contact with the bottom of the piston id post pics but cant figure out how lookibg to rebuild this motor and curious as to what all im still able to use cylinders look very clean as do pistons and all bearings and surfaces,can i just teardown block clean get a new rod and maybe piston all new bearings etc or did this really screw me ,car was only ran less than a minute after noise started and im just looking to fo a fairly stock rebuild possibly upgrade heads and cam and all new timing chain oil pump etc
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you could buy a stock rotating assembly on here for damned cheap...

Just do a hone, replace the rings and bearings, and call it good.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 AM
Teching In

I wish I could find one,I'm curious if the piston and crank are fine to reuse it didn't dig into either one much at all so they should be fine right? I just need a new rod and clean all the trash out of the block and new bearings? Or would that being bent ruin the crank/ piston? Sorry all the questions I'm on a tight budget and it would be nice to get away that easy on this build ,Lol I don't know how to find anything for sale on here don't u have to be a 6 month member or something?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't re use the scuffed piston. If you're hitting crank counterweights then you are disturbing metal in the all-important pin boss area. Not to mention the fun of trying to salvage the piston by pressing the pin out of it (Not easy without the right tools.) The crank ought to be fine, just clean off any aluminum smear, and grab a stock rod and piston off ebay.

Oh, and make sure you replace the injector o-rings as well. The only time you buckle a rod is from a partial hydro lock (Or a mammoth shot of nawwsss) and one of the entry points for water is the lower injector o rings. Might be a good idea to replace that injector as well in case it stuck open and caused it.
The following users liked this post:
rubenlee21 (12-11-2022)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Could be a leaking head gasket too or a loose intake manifold. I'd look very carefully at what was on that piston when you tore it down.

Quick Reply: bent connecting rod!