General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Inj cleaning in Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's something im interested in doing, I'll check out my local parts stores for the hose. I guess im questioning because I dont really feel a need to do the service at the moment but I have a feeling it'll be one of those "why didnt I do this sooner?" moments after.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

this looks good. where do you get this stuff??? online?? autozone??

Last edited by DaytonaBlues; 05-26-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

do a google search for the stuff ...................the prices vary greatly ! .......the can of cleaner goes for 27$ at napa........but i get it online for 13$
Old 05-26-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

This is quick cleaning so of course you will feel instant results but a good in tank fuel treatment like Gumout will do just as wellover a tank full of fuel. Trouble is within a few 100 miles the injectors are dirty again anyway...................the real trouble is LEAKING VALVE SEALS. If your injectors get dirty quickly then its time for valve seals.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 05-26-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant find the newer hoses part number. finding the can is easy but where do i get the hoses?
actually i cant find ANY of this stuff except one site that sells the cans in bulk for $400. i did find the hose adapters for around $130 for each piece. i was gonna bring the car and get this done professionally but if i can do this on the cheap for like $75ish then im all for it.

where are you guys finding this? even google searching the 3m part numbers are hard to find

Last edited by DaytonaBlues; 05-26-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
This is quick cleaning so of course you will feel instant results but a good in tank fuel treatment like Gumout will do just as wellover a tank full of fuel. Trouble is within a few 100 miles the injectors are dirty again anyway...................the real trouble is LEAKING VALVE SEALS. If your injectors get dirty quickly then its time for valve seals.
the inj will always get dirty again......just like washing your car........but IMO this stuff is 100x better than ANY in tank additive
Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues
i cant find the newer hoses part number. finding the can is easy but where do i get the hoses?
actually i cant find ANY of this stuff except one site that sells the cans in bulk for $400. i did find the hose adapters for around $130 for each piece. i was gonna bring the car and get this done professionally but if i can do this on the cheap for like $75ish then im all for it.

where are you guys finding this? even google searching the 3m part numbers are hard to find
PM sent
Old 05-26-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
the inj will always get dirty again......just like washing your car........but IMO this stuff is 100x better than ANY in tank additive
No its not any better than A GOOD tank additive like techron or gumout. Just much quicker.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

No its not any better than A GOOD tank additive like techron or gumout. Just much quicker.
"Better" is not a very accurate word, but this method is definitely more effective in getting the chemicals to the top end at a higher concentration. The minute something is dumped in the tank, it becomes diluted.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have tried ALL the tank additives........this is BETTER....
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I ended my post before I was finished - sorry.

This is a better method! Its also the one I use - tapping in to the top end. The tank dump stuff will extend the time between top end cleanings, but they just can't get rid of serious build up.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you pull the fuel pump fuse so the fuel pump will not operate while the cleaning process is occurring.........the FI cleaner contains fuel to run the car at an idle speed as well as the concentrated cleaners.......when done with the cleaning replace the fuse so the pump will operate normally
Holy moly......I was thinking there was fuel in the can......but then I though NO WAY........

That's very cool........

Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Banned

If your injectors get dirty quickly then its time for valve seals.
What?

How can oil getting by the valve seals have any affect on a fuel injector that's upstream of any oil?

Bad valve seals suck oil in from the valve covers and that oil gets ingested directly into the cylinder. That oil doesn't travel against the flow of high velocity air going into the head from the intake where the fuel injector does.

The cause of dirty injectors is a very old and deteriorating fuel filter........

Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Banned

i have tried ALL the tank additives........this is BETTER....
Yea......That 3M method is certainly better than any in-tank additive because of dilution from the gas. That's why I use a full can of SeaFoam in just 1/8th tank of gas. But I do that regularly like every 3 months. I buy cans of SeaFoam pretty much every time I'm in the parts store just to have.

I wish that damn line wasn't so expensive......as well as the 3M stuff......I'd do the 3M cleaning. But as mentioned, injectors need to be cleaned all the time to really have clean injectors all the time. I figure 4 cans of SeaFoam per year is what I do to keep the entire fuel system clean......gas tank, fuel pump, all the lines and the injectors are cleaned.

But knowing me ill probably buy the line just to have it and ill do the 3M cleaning at some point. My girlfriend has a 2011 Vette too so we can both use it.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just went on a looooong road trip.......and right before i left i used another can of cleaner......even tho i had just cleaned it a few weeks before....my mileage on the rd really went UP......before on the rd the best i could do would be 22-23........on a LUCKY day.....now i am getting 24-25 CONSISTENTLY
Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Banned

i just went on a looooong road trip.......and right before i left i used another can of cleaner......even tho i had just cleaned it a few weeks before....my mileage on the rd really went UP......before on the rd the best i could do would be 22-23........on a LUCKY day.....now i am getting 24-25 CONSISTENTLY
I'm gonna give it a shot and see what happens.....

Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
What?

How can oil getting by the valve seals have any affect on a fuel injector that's upstream of any oil?

Bad valve seals suck oil in from the valve covers and that oil gets ingested directly into the cylinder. That oil doesn't travel against the flow of high velocity air going into the head from the intake where the fuel injector does.

The cause of dirty injectors is a very old and deteriorating fuel filter........

Nope, its not the fuel. Leaking valves(all leak some oil) ARE the cause of dirty fouled fuel injectors. Fuel injectors don't get dirty while you are driving. They get fouled with oil from the valve seals AFTER you shut the engine off HOT. The hot oil vapors collect on the injectors and cause carbon fouling and other nasty deposits.

GM teaches its techs this ................
Old 06-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

Nope, its not the fuel. Leaking valves(all leak some oil) ARE the cause of dirty fouled fuel injectors. Fuel injectors don't get dirty while you are driving. They get fouled with oil from the valve seals AFTER you shut the engine off HOT. The hot oil vapors collect on the injectors and cause carbon fouling and other nasty deposits.

GM teaches its techs this ................
Man, I would think the second you started the engine the fuel would eat and blast off any oil vapor that coated the mesh screen on the fuel injector tips....

Oh we'll, never heard of that. I had bad valve seals for over a year on my 427ci, like all of them. So bad that when we took the heads off some of the valve guides just fell out. It was a poorly done head job to begin with too.....never had a problem with my injectors.. But I guess I can see how vapors could rise up into the chambers.....

Fuel is a very powerful cleaner though.

Quick Reply: Fuel Inj cleaning in Pics