General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Shooting out of my Overflow Cap??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by great421
You have a blown head gasket.

Pressure from the combustion chamber is forcing the coolant out.

Have a leakdown test performed on all 8 cylinders - you may have two blown gaskets.

Good luck!
Has anyone heard of this being the problem before?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yukonblu
Has anyone heard of this being the problem before?
Of course. Blown head gaskets happen every day to some unfortunate FBody or Vette owner.........

Old 06-28-2013, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Of course. Blown head gaskets happen every day to some unfortunate FBody or Vette owner.........

The problem... as in the problem causing coolant to shoot out of my overflow. I know blown head gaskets happen. But also if i had a blown head gasket i would have water in my oil right? Cause i checked my oil and there is no water in it, i know this for sure.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Banned

The problem... as in the problem causing coolant to shoot out of my overflow. I know blown head gaskets happen. But also if i had a blown head gasket i would have water in my oil right? Cause i checked my oil and there is no water in it, i know this for sure.
No, water does not always go into the oil. Just depends on where the break in the head gasket is. Almost always when the breach is next to a coolant passage the compression from the power stroke will push exhaust gas into the cooling system....but also on the downstroke it can suck coolant in, then burn that coolant and it will go out the exhaust to the tailpipes, causing low coolant all the time.

Coolant getting into the oil is usually a crack in a head or the block......

Old 06-30-2013, 03:27 AM
On The Tree

No, water does not always go into the oil. Just depends on where the break in the head gasket is. Almost always when the breach is next to a coolant passage the compression from the power stroke will push exhaust gas into the cooling system....but also on the downstroke it can suck coolant in, then burn that coolant and it will go out the exhaust to the tailpipes, causing low coolant all the time.

Coolant getting into the oil is usually a crack in a head or the block......

Sounds like what i have going on then.. when the coolant shoots out the overflow it does not seem like that much comes out, or at least when it was on the dyno not much seemed like it came out of the overflow. But it seemed like i had to put a lot back in it to fill it up. Do u think this could cause my numbers to be low on the dyno jet? If i have to replace a head gasket do u think this would be a good time to go ahead and upgrade my heads? Since one of the heads or both may have to come off anyway.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:33 AM
Launching!

Auto Zone and others have a block tester kit for free rental. You just have to buy the fluid to put it in it. It's just a tube that goes down on the radiator filler neck that you fill with fluid, then pump it to draw air from the radiator through it. The fluid changes color if combustion gases are present.

I once split the head on an old Mazda truck from one end to the other. Not a drop of coolant went into the oil. All the oil pumped into the cooling system and blew the top off the overflow. It was quite spectacular.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSellers
Auto Zone and others have a block tester kit for free rental. You just have to buy the fluid to put it in it. It's just a tube that goes down on the radiator filler neck that you fill with fluid, then pump it to draw air from the radiator through it. The fluid changes color if combustion gases are present.

I once split the head on an old Mazda truck from one end to the other. Not a drop of coolant went into the oil. All the oil pumped into the cooling system and blew the top off the overflow. It was quite spectacular.

Give the above a try

Chip
Old 06-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

Sounds like what i have going on then.. when the coolant shoots out the overflow it does not seem like that much comes out, or at least when it was on the dyno not much seemed like it came out of the overflow. But it seemed like i had to put a lot back in it to fill it up. Do u think this could cause my numbers to be low on the dyno jet? If i have to replace a head gasket do u think this would be a good time to go ahead and upgrade my heads? Since one of the heads or both may have to come off anyway.
Blown gasket doesn't really change the HP numbers, but if coolant is also getting sucked into the cylinder(s) on the downstroke then yes......it could be killing those cylinders and the power they are making.
I think your engine is begging for heads and cam. You have LTs that are way too big for a stock cube engine. Heads/cam/tune could add close to 100 HP to your engine depending on the cam. There are tons of 480-500 RWHP head/cam full bolt-on cars out there with stock cubes. But I think 450 RWHP is easy to obtain with today's heads.

Head gasket change is quite easy, just time consuming. Took my friend about 2 hours by himself ((I helped out)) to remove them. Then about 3 hours to reinstall everything.

But if you have the money for upgraded heads......that's the most HP you can pick up with any single mod. But.....you're gonna need a new cam too, otherwise you won't get the max potential out of the new better breathing heads.

Last edited by LS6427; 06-30-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

Blown gasket doesn't really change the HP numbers, but if coolant is also getting sucked into the cylinder(s) on the downstroke then yes......it could be killing those cylinders and the power they are making.
I think your engine is begging for heads and cam. You have LTs that are way too big for a stock cube engine. Heads/cam/tune could add close to 100 HP to your engine depending on the cam. There are tons of 480-500 RWHP head/cam full bolt-on cars out there with stock cubes. But I think 450 RWHP is easy to obtain with today's heads.

Head gasket change is quite easy, just time consuming. Took my friend about 2 hours by himself ((I helped out)) to remove them. Then about 3 hours to reinstall everything.

But if you have the money for upgraded heads......that's the most HP you can pick up with any single mod. But.....you're gonna need a new cam too, otherwise you won't get the max potential out of the new better breathing heads.

I'm gonna go rent that thing from auto zone and see what happens. Im only having a problem at really high rpms so i guess i may have to rev the motor a bit to let the exhaust gasses in... What do u think?

Im making 332 rwhp and 349 rwtq... So that seems like an awful big jump to go to 480 to 500 rwhp dont u think?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 AM
Banned

I'm gonna go rent that thing from auto zone and see what happens. Im only having a problem at really high rpms so i guess i may have to rev the motor a bit to let the exhaust gasses in... What do u think?

Im making 332 rwhp and 349 rwtq... So that seems like an awful big jump to go to 480 to 500 rwhp dont u think?
LS1 engines back in 2000-2001 were making 500 RWHP with stock cubed 346ci engines.......Morgan Motorsports had an Aggressor 500 Head/Cam package that did it way back then. But now the heads are WAY better flowing so its easier to do it with not so aggressive cams.

But 500 is a lot. 450-480.........no problem with the right cam and bolt-ons.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

LS1 engines back in 2000-2001 were making 500 RWHP with stock cubed 346ci engines.......Morgan Motorsports had an Aggressor 500 Head/Cam package that did it way back then. But now the heads are WAY better flowing so its easier to do it with not so aggressive cams.

But 500 is a lot. 450-480.........no problem with the right cam and bolt-ons.

What head cam package do u recommend for 450+ hp? And what are bolt on are u talking about. All i have is headers and exhaust basically. I still have to rent that tool from autozone btw.. wont be able to until this weekend.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Banned

What head cam package do u recommend for 450+ hp? And what are bolt on are u talking about. All i have is headers and exhaust basically. I still have to rent that tool from autozone btw.. wont be able to until this weekend.
Ported L92 heads, ported L76 intake or ported LS6 intake, whatever cam you like as far as lope goes, and a tune. 450 RWHP....EASY.....

Bolt-ons are things you just bolt on. Like your headers, a better flowing lid, crank pulley, bigger TB, intake, exhaust, exhaust cut-out, etc....

Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Ported L92 heads, ported L76 intake or ported LS6 intake, whatever cam you like as far as lope goes, and a tune. 450 RWHP....EASY.....

Bolt-ons are things you just bolt on. Like your headers, a better flowing lid, crank pulley, bigger TB, intake, exhaust, exhaust cut-out, etc....

Do u know what heads an 02 z28 comes with stock? And i already have the ls6 intake.

Quick Reply: Coolant Shooting out of my Overflow Cap??