General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

EVAP/Charcoal Canister Issues

Old 07-06-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default EVAP/Charcoal Canister Issues

My car wont accept any fuel from the gas pump. This is a plastic tank i swapped back into my car after sitting outside for a while, i believe the charcoal canister is packed. Here's what I've tested.

1. The check valve inside the tank is operational. I looked with a fiber optic camera.

2. While depressing the check valve inside of the tank with a coat hanger, i blew into the evap line. There's definitely a backup.

So my questions are.

1. Is this charcoal canister rebuilable? I saw that advanceauto sold filters. Any expeirence?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=canister

2. By depressing the checkvalve in the tank, ive bypassed the possibility that the vapor purge solenoid was he issue. Does this sound right?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ping King
My car wont accept any fuel from the gas pump. This is a plastic tank i swapped back into my car after sitting outside for a while, i believe the charcoal canister is packed. Here's what I've tested.

1. The check valve inside the tank is operational. I looked with a fiber optic camera.

2. While depressing the check valve inside of the tank with a coat hanger, i blew into the evap line. There's definitely a backup.

So my questions are.

1. Is this charcoal canister rebuilable? I saw that advanceauto sold filters. Any expeirence?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=canister

2. By depressing the checkvalve in the tank, ive bypassed the possibility that the vapor purge solenoid was he issue. Does this sound right?

Any help would be appreciated
Any SES codes? I have the same issue and I've heard all you have to do is pull the canister out, blow it out, and put it back. Problem is I don't know how to get to it.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had tuned any evap codes out so that i can pass obd2 quickly. I'm thinking of retuning it to see whats up.

The canister is above the fuel tank, so you'll have to pull the tank to get to the canister out.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was afraid of that. As dropping the rear end and tank is above what I'm currently capable of, I'm looking into the access hole technique but am scared to cut into my car. Is there no way to attempt to clear the line without taking off the canister? What if I hooked up an air compressor to the evap service port where a smoke machine is normally hooked up and blew into the line at ~1 psi? Would that clear the charcoal bits out or would I just be damaging stuff?

Also, I know I'm kind of hijacking your thread, but how did you "tune out" the codes? I've cleared my P0446 code over and over but every time it runs the evap/fuel trim test, it throws it again.

On topic, yes, I would definitely say your canister is clogged big time since that's exactly what mine does and I can confirm my canister is plugged because of that code.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think you can access the entire charcoal canister through the trap door. I have one cut, and theres no way it'll happen. Dropping the tank isn't complicated, its just labor intensive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVAP/Charcoal Canister Issues