General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Severe vibration between 1-2 K rpm (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Severe vibration between 1-2 K rpm (with video)

Video:

Hi, my 98 Z28 m6 has been making a really annoying vibration sound now for months. I'll list off any relevant modifications and specific notes on what's occuring.

- Pacesetter longtubes, TSP ORY to stock catback. Passenger side heat shield removed for clearance as this was rattling.

-Transmission fluid changed with fresh DEX 111. Transmission shifts as smoothly as a T56 might shift. Never kicks me out of gear. Shifter does not jump ever to indicate a worn out mount.

- Factory torque arm was contacting my TSP ORY. However, no shiny parts on the torque arm indicating that it was rubbing. I still always thought that this was the source of the rattle. I had the exhaust shop improve the clearance so that they are no longer contacting yet the rattle remains.

-this LOUD rattle, which happens between 1-2 K rpm ONLY is coming from the front end/middle section (center area) of the car, it sounds like it is coming from underneath the transmission area or underneath the console area. A metal on metal sound to my ears.

-the entire car shakes violently when I'm releasing the clutch in 1st and reverse from a stop.

-This sound occurs both in neutral and in gear.

Please help..I'm at my wits end
Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Here's another video..it's tough to capture the sound with a cell phone camera

Jack Carter Chev blamed exhaust shop for the noise, said that it was due to the torque arm contacting the ORY..exhaust shop claims that the exhaust is not the issue. The exhaust doesn't budge even if you reaf on it. It's installed very solidly. I can't re-create any sound by trying to move the exhaust/banging on it with a rubber mallet.

Exhaust shop now says to take it to a transmission shop. Like I say though, the shifting is great. The shifter doesn't jump and I don't feel any unusual vibrations through the shifter.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Hmmm could this possibly be due to loose header bolts? I haven't re tightened them since installing them over a year ago. It kind of makes too much sense as this started happening after I installed the headers. They don't contact the K member at all.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Input shaft? Trans Mount? throwout bearing?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Ended up being from my TSP ORY contacting my stock torque arm
Attached Thumbnails Severe vibration between 1-2 K rpm (with video)-tsp_ory.jpg  

Quick Reply: Severe vibration between 1-2 K rpm (with video)