General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Has anyone figured how to change the radiator without disconnecting the condenser?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone figured how to change the radiator without disconnecting the condenser?

As the title says. It's time for a radiator on my 99 TA and everything I read says I have to change the radiator by disconnecting the condenser first and pulling it out the bottom. At first it looked like an easy pull but then I looked it up.
Anyway, I don't have the equipment to recover the refrigerant and I have limited time with any space to start pulling apart the radiator without finishing the job.

Any suggestions would be great. I was even considering clipping the plastic radiator tabs, to pull it out through the top, and fashioning something to support the new radiator after it's in place.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

You don't need to disconnect the condenser.
Remove radiator shroud.
Disconnect the radiator hoses.
Disconnect the fan connectors.
I believe the fans are slid into place, so you can just pull them out.
The radiator is connected to the condenser with the same kind of tabs that hold the fans in so it should just slide out from there.
When I replaced mine, I used an LT1 radiator from the parts store so there was an extra plastic holder for an A/C line on the passenger side. I had to cut that off because the A/C lines are different for LT1 cars.
New radiator should just drop in and install is reverse of removal.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's awesome reinforcement. I started panicking because I looked in the Haynes book and they say to disconnect the condenser and pull the radiator out through the bottom. I didn't think that was necessary but I didn't want to get caught with my pants down.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Make sure you keep track of the radiator rubber supports. There's 2 on the bottom and 2 on the top. Things will not line up if you're missing any of them.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you are luckier than I am, but I ended up busting the ac line that goes to the top of the condenser. It's a pretty common occurrence when doing the rad change. Just be careful not to flex that hard line too much...
Old 08-09-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 condenser can stay in. That's what you do during a cam swap. Radiator comes out, condenser stays in.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks all. I spent a bit of time with some plasti weld and sand paper. So far all is good but I am pretty sure I'm going to want to change it before the winter. I don't know how long I can trust that stuff for.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally did it. 2 hours taking my sweet *** time. It's such a shame that Haynes and GM procedure is to take it out from the bottom after removing the condensor.
Thanks so much for the info guys!

Quick Reply: Has anyone figured how to change the radiator without disconnecting the condenser?