General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Should I change the evaporator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I change the evaporator?

So I've been having an A/C leak for the past few months. I took it in to a shop a few weeks ago and they changed the seal on the back of the compressor because there was buildup there and they believed that's where the leak was coming from. Well 2 weeks later my A/C went out again. They suggested for me to buy a new compressor. Well, if they couldn't find a leak on the compresssor on it now with a sniffer and Dye, could it really be the compressor? They also think it might be the evaporator but said it would be cheapest to change the compressor first to see if that's the problem. I really dont' want to pay for a new compressor if my old one might be in working condition, I mean the seal was changed at the back of it and the clutch enganges fine. What do you guys think I should do? And if I were to attempt changing the evaporator, after removing the dash and vents do I need to just need to remove the radiator core first then remove the evaporator? Or do I need to completely remove the whole black box that they are both enclosed in?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?

Quick Reply: Should I change the evaporator?