General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Headlight Issue

My passenger side low beam went out again. After I installed the new housing, it came on but only maybe 25% of brightness. At the same time I plug it in, my high beams automatically come on very dim, maybe like 10% brightness. I didn't move any wiring or swap anything so I"m very confused what's happening. It should be plug-and-go, i've done this before. Anyone have insight?

Also, my running light/blinker light int he front works, but doesn't really blink, therefor my right turn signal doesn't work. I don't think its the bulb, could it be the socket itself too corroded?

Help would be good, since I'm in another state and don't want to get pulled over and have to get a new license yet!!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Corrosion in the headlight motor connector can cause this. (The wires for the lights go through the same connector.)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a short in the wiring that is back feeding power into the other lights and taking away from low beams.

Replace all the bulb sockets and take apart the wiring to see if anything is shorted.
then recheck
Old 08-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeless2bNY
You have a short in the wiring that is back feeding power into the other lights
Yep. In a Firebird, this happens in the headlight door motor connector 99% of the time. That's the first place to look before tracing wires and ripping out sockets.

Quick Reply: Strange Headlight Issue