General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No power, hard starts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power, hard starts.

I have a 98 TA and I'm having some problems. I'm noticing that my car is really lacking on horsepower. Like I can't even keep up with a prius... Also, when the car is already warm it takes me a few seconds to get it to start. Sometimes when it starts it won't idle and dies after 3 or 4 seconds. I think it's a dying fuel pump but I think it might be the MAF as well. Is there any way that the IAT sensor could be causing this? I'm not throwing any codes currently but I was throwing an EVAP small leak code. I replaced my fuel cap and cleared it and it hasn't come back since.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

All symptoms of a bad fuel pump..my buddy whent throu same problems it couldint even make a burn out.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

I thought that our in tank fuel pumps were a "all or NOTHING" deal, with NO partial/reduced performance, i.e.; they are either working at full capability, or they are dead, no??
Old 09-17-2013, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TraptLP
I have a 98 TA and I'm having some problems. I'm noticing that my car is really lacking on horsepower. Like I can't even keep up with a prius... Also, when the car is already warm it takes me a few seconds to get it to start. Sometimes when it starts it won't idle and dies after 3 or 4 seconds. I think it's a dying fuel pump but I think it might be the MAF as well. Is there any way that the IAT sensor could be causing this? I'm not throwing any codes currently but I was throwing an EVAP small leak code. I replaced my fuel cap and cleared it and it hasn't come back since.
When is the last time you cleaned the MAF?

A dirty MAF causes all of that ****.......

Give it a try it costs $8.00 to find out. Buy a can of MAF cleaner. Spray the **** out of it on both sides and the entire MAF screen, then spray the IAT sensor, then clean the TB blade with the rest of the can.
Do NOT touch the MAF sensor wires with anything, just hit it with the spray.

If thats not it, then start digging deeper.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input. Today I'm going to clean the hell out of the MAF. If that doesn't work I'm going to replace the MAF since the one on it is a remanufactured one. If that doesn't fix it I'll try the fuel pump. Can someone link me to the pump I need from racetronix? They have a couple different options for the 98. It seems one has more wiring with it.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TraptLP
Thanks for the input. Today I'm going to clean the hell out of the MAF. If that doesn't work I'm going to replace the MAF since the one on it is a remanufactured one. If that doesn't fix it I'll try the fuel pump. Can someone link me to the pump I need from racetronix? They have a couple different options for the 98. It seems one has more wiring with it.
If the MAF fails you should get a code. But if its dirty as hell you will not get a code. Don't just buy a new one.

Try unplugging it when the engine is 100% cold. See if it hard starts and/or idles weird after it does. Then after the engine is up to operating temp go for a drive and do a WOT run and see if it feels normal and strong. If it does than the PCM has switched to a Speed Density tune and the problem is most likely the MAF.

Try to spend little or no money figuring out what's wrong.

You might also have a bad TPS. Maybe even a bad tank of gas. Fuel filter that's coming apart and clogging things up.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Would a bad TPS not even allow the car to start (if it is getting fuel and spark, and the crank position sensor is OK)??

Quick Reply: No power, hard starts.