General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Repairing LT1 Z28 catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing LT1 Z28 catalytic converters

Hey guys I'm new to this whole forum thing and I just had a quick question and I don't know if I posted this is the right place or not. But I went to a muffler shop and got my exhaust diagnosed from a engine code and they said it was both catalytic converters and they needed to be replaced. They are charging me $887 at one shop and $857 at another. And my problem is that my car was apparently bought in California and it has to have smog legal catalytic converters put on it which costs a lot. And he said the car would still have a trouble code if I got anything other then te expensive 50 state legal cat. Is this true? And if so can you erase the California emissions off the ecu? (I'm sorry if that's a dumb question). And is there any good High flow 50 state legal cats? One of the muffler shop guys said magnaflow is a horrible cat to get for a z28 which is strange and he wants to get me a DEC cat that's around $300-400. Any help would be great! O and I live in oregon if that helps. And the car is a 1996 z28

Last edited by Z28LikeABoss; 09-27-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!

Before you spend a boatload of money on replacing your cats, try to clean them first.

Do a search on "Seafoam" and you'll get enough information to get started.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by great421
Welcome!

Before you spend a boatload of money on replacing your cats, try to clean them first.

Do a search on "Seafoam" and you'll get enough information to get started.

Good luck!
Alright sweet I should have thought about trying that! How do you go about seafoaming the cats or to where it gets to that direction?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28LikeABoss
And he said the car would still have a trouble code if I got anything other then te expensive 50 state legal cat. Is this true?
No. I have high flow cats, running both rear O2's with no issues.

It's been a few years since I moved from CA, but you'll have to check on the stock cat replacement thing. I wouldn't pay them for that, find someone selling a used y-pipe.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I'd go get a second opinion. What are the codes you are getting? Its unusual to loose both at the same time.

Cats scrub the exhaust with a ceramic insert covered with platinum. That's why they are so expensive.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Teching In

The trouble code is p0430. I thought it would be unusual for both to go out at the same time as well. I will try to find a y pipe I found a x pipe on summit for $135 I hope that'll be good enough. Thank you all for your answers!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I'd go get a second opinion. What are the codes you are getting? Its unusual to loose both at the same time.

Cats scrub the exhaust with a ceramic insert covered with platinum. That's why they are so expensive.
Code p0430 and the one muffler shop won't even put them on even if I buy the 50 state legal ones he just said no I can't do that and walked away which is fishy to me
Old 09-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Z28LikeABoss
Code p0430 and the one muffler shop won't even put them on even if I buy the 50 state legal ones he just said no I can't do that and walked away which is fishy to me
OK - So, P0420 is one side and P0430 is the other side. So, you should walk away from any shop that tells you that you need two. Only one of yours has a problem.

That being said...
- It might not be a cat problem. This code is thrown by the second post-cat O2 sensor. It is possible that your sensor could be bad and incorrectly reporting a problem. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0430 Before you sink $$$ in to a new CAT, you should confirm the function of the O2 sensor by having someone look at its waveform on a special scanner OR switch the left and right sides. (If your P0430 turns to a P0420 when you switch the post-cat sensors, then you know its the sensor and not the cat.) If you do this - very important - be sure to use anti-seize compound on the O2 threads each time you switch them. Otherwise the threads can weld themselves to your exhaust pipe.
- It could be a bad cat. The ceramic substrate that holds the platinum is fragile and hitting road debris, etc. can break it. When that happens, gasses don't flow through it efficiently and the performance of the CAT and your car will diminish.

Its illegal to circumvent pollution controls, so no reputable shop will replace your CAT with a part that isn't spec'd for your car. You might see what the cost of the part is from a parts store. With the credit on the core, it may be worth your while to buy the correct part yourself and pay a buddy to install it with a nice case of beer, etc.

Hopefully, its just an O2 sensor.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

If its the cats, I've heard of people running a spacer which makes the o2 not go in all the way so it reads a lower pollution number and the code goes away.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That being said...
- It might not be a cat problem. This code is thrown by the second post-cat O2 sensor. It is possible that your sensor could be bad and incorrectly reporting a problem. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0430 Before you sink $$$ in to a new CAT, you should confirm the function of the O2 sensor by having someone look at its waveform on a special scanner OR switch the left and right sides. (If your P0430 turns to a P0420 when you switch the post-cat sensors, then you know its the sensor and not the cat.)

Hopefully, its just an O2 sensor.
Oxygen sensors CANNOT trigger a catalyst inefficiency DTC.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Oxygen sensors CANNOT trigger a catalyst inefficiency DTC.
Rear oxygen sensors - not the front ones. The front ones measure the gasses coming out of the engine and the rear ones compare the transformation through the CAT.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rear oxygen sensors - not the front ones. The front ones measure the gasses coming out of the engine and the rear ones compare the transformation through the CAT.
OK...

A rear oxygen sensor/downstream sensor/catalyst monitor CANNOT trigger a catalyst inefficiency DTC. Saying otherwise shows a complete ignorance of the system's operation.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Save the manuals!

OK...

A rear oxygen sensor/downstream sensor/catalyst monitor CANNOT trigger a catalyst inefficiency DTC. Saying otherwise shows a complete ignorance of the system's operation.
Let's assume you know what you are talking about and the rest of us don't. Are you saying that the manufacturer's guidance on causes of this code (http://www.obd-codes.com/p0430) is wrong:
"An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly"

If so, what IS the magic sensor on a car that would measure the catalyst efficiency and trigger the system throw the code? The only sensor in the tailpipe after the CAT that I know about is the oxygen sensor. Can you enlighten and amaze us with your knowledge and what would cause this code to be thrown?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ONLY way a rear 02 can cause a cat code is if the rear 02 sensor magically starts oscillating as much as the front - thats how the PCM sees a "catalyst failure", it sees the front and rear 02 sensors of one specific bank doing the same thing. Where as normal conditions, after closed loop, the front sensor is going from .1 to .9V continuously and the rear stays on one end of the spectrum (I wanna say low, but I forget the specifics). The 02 sensor is used to diagnose the cat, but if the 02 sensor isnt working, it will throw an 02 sensor code , not a cat code.

I've NEVER seen an oxygen sensor cause a P0420/P0430. Ever. Probably because they can't.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
The ONLY way a rear 02 can cause a cat code is if the rear 02 sensor magically starts oscillating as much as the front - thats how the PCM sees a "catalyst failure", it sees the front and rear 02 sensors of one specific bank doing the same thing.
The wave form of the front sensors oscillates and the rears are closer to a square wave form, when the sensors AND catalyst are working properly: http://www.picoauto.com/tutorials/cat-efficiency.html

The 02 sensor is used to diagnose the cat, but if the 02 sensor isnt working, it will throw an 02 sensor code , not a cat code.
The sensor code gets thrown when the sensor becomes a total dud or its circuit is broken. If the sensor gets contaminated, it will report figures out of normal range, which will trip the CAT codes. (Just like the link above, the GM Service Manual states the same information.)

This is a good article on O2 sensors. It doesn't talk about post-CAT sensors, per se, but it does explain how the sensors get contaminated.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eWU&cad=rja

I've NEVER seen an oxygen sensor cause a P0420/P0430. Ever. Probably because they can't.
We have several historical threads on this site, where this very thing has happened.

You do bring up a good point in that the wave forms are telling. If one has a good scanner, the waves can be read without the need to switch sensors or change them out on a trial/error basis.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

We have several historical threads on this site, where this very thing has happened.
And every single one that claims a sensor fixed their inefficienty DTC is full of ****.

Sensor replacement keeping the DTC from returning usually has other factors involved like replacement of other parts that affect the tune, or simply the resetting of the PCMs KAM (DTC not returning due to detected efficiency varying just above or below threshold). The only time a sensor "fixes" the inefficiency issue is when the PCM is also recalibrated to change the PCM's DTC threshold. BTW - this threshold can be monitored with many PCMs in Mode 6 data. That means I can go into the PCM and read a numeric value for the catalyst efficiency and can determine if it's likely to fail soon, or even if a sensor changes the efficiency readings (which is so unlikely I'll just call it impossible).

The ONLY factor that could trigger a false inefficiency DTC is a leak in the exhaust system between the upstream and downstream sensors.

Food for thought: GM released a customer satisfaction program on our cars for P0420 and P0430 DTCs. Not a single car was fixed with a downstream sensor. ALL had the converter(s) replaced. If the cars could have been fixed with a sensor replacement, don't you think GM would have liked to save several hundred dollars per car by doing so? They didn't even want to change the threshold like many other manufacturers do illegally... cough cough Nissan cough cough.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

And my problem is that my car was apparently bought in California and it has to have smog legal catalytic converters put on it which costs a lot.
That's 100% BS. Regardless of where the car was purchased, it only has to pass the legal emissions of the current state and the federal. None of which are anywhere near as stringent as California.

I would buy some $75 high flow Thunderbolt cats from eBay, have a shop weld them in and get the codes tuned out if they happen to come up.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Save the manuals!

And every single one that claims a sensor fixed their inefficienty DTC is full of ****.
Look, its pretty simple. The rear O2 sensor reports this code. If that sensor is not failed electrically or not completely fouled, it can (it can) cause a false code. It may indeed be a bad CAT. (Given this car's age and the historical issues with CATs on these cars, its more likely than not that it is a bad CAT - but... It could be a bad PCM. It could be a random act of God. The point is one should confirm the cheap stuff is working first before spending big cash on a part that may not 100% be bad.

If you think the OP should go out now and spend the money to replace the CAT, without confirming the outlier causes are an issue, please say so.

Given the OP's sensitivity to cost, I'm suggesting that the O2 sensors should be confirmed as being good before replacing the CAT. If it is the O2 sensor, we'll all be happy and have a . If it is indeed the CAT, then we'll all be happy as there was no harm done in checking the sensor. (But - there will be no beer because all the money will be spent on the part.)

Any one of us would feel like a total terd if we spent $400 for a new cat and found the problem was a $50 sensor. (Particularly when the sensor test in this case is free.)
Old 10-04-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look, its pretty simple. The rear O2 sensor reports this code.
No, the sensor DOES NOT "report the code". The PCM compares the waveforms of the upstream and downstream sensors. If the calculated efficiency is outside the acceptable range, the PCM triggers the DTC.

Throwing parts at a car is poor practice, yet you're condoning the replacement of a sensor because it's cheap. The diagnosis has already been performed. Certain DTCs require no diagnosis beyond DTC retrieval. Catalyst inefficiency DTCs are among them. I do this for a living. Recommending a sensor replacement for this problem shows as much ignorance on the topic as someone recommending an oil change to cure a bearing knock.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Just gutt them or get fake cats..and get more hp

Quick Reply: Repairing LT1 Z28 catalytic converters