General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stumped... 1998 Fuel gauge stuck on E

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stumped... 1998 Fuel gauge stuck on E

I replaced my fuel pump with a Racetronix about a month ago. Fuel gauge was reading fine. I was driving and gas was low and I filled up, started it up, and gauge was pegged empty.

I tried to clean the original sending card and bend in the tabs and still not working. I replaced the sender with another from a junkyard 1998 camaro and still same result. I can get resistance readings from the senders.

The fuel gauge will sweep when key is turned on

I also have the 5V reference at the sender.

I am totally stumped here. Anybody got anything for me?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replace my fuel pump a while ago was reading fine than one day it stopped reading the gas level, from time to time it would read for awhile than go to empty. A few weeks ago i ran out of gas. Ever since has been reading my gas level. Maybe i missed a step when i installed the new pump, but its been reading my cars gas level with no problems. Don't think this helped but its what worked with my fuel pump. Note; as soon as my car started to shake because of little gas i pulled over instantly, luckily i was in parking lot of shopping mall. Go luck.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured it out.

When the sender goes bad, it can set a DTC in the PCM. This DTC does not set the check engine lamp. When this DTC is set, the fuel gauge wont work.

With the car ON, I replaced the sender, and was moving the float and was finding the gauge not moving, thus the fustration.... I then hooked up a Tech 2 and seen that the PCM was getting the signal and there is a function to command the gauge and it did not move. I checked DTCs, seen the code and cleared it. I cycled key and now it works fine
Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you fixed it.

Quick Reply: Stumped... 1998 Fuel gauge stuck on E