General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TCS light will not come on. please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TCS light will not come on. please help

Ive got a 2000 firebird and the TCS warning light on dash will not come on. Not at all even during startup. All other warning lights are fine. Computer codes indicated front wheel sensor bad so I replaced both front hub and sensors today, I hoped that would make the light start working again but it didnt. The wires all appeared fine during inspection while replacing hub and sensors. The internet is full of info about if the light comes on but not a peep about if it stays off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Launching!

Have you checked the bulb? If not try switching a bulb you know is good in there.

If you've already checked the blub the circuit board on the back of the cluster can get messed up. I scratched mine when changing my CEL bulb and now it won't come on at all. Static electricity can also mess them up.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is easy because there is no TCS light. There are:
- TCS OFF
- ABS INOP
- BRAKE
- LOW TRAC

If you have a bad wheel speed sensor, I'd expect to see an ABS INOP light.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is easy because there is no TCS light. There are:
- TCS OFF
- ABS INOP
- BRAKE
- LOW TRAC

If you have a bad wheel speed sensor, I'd expect to see an ABS INOP light.
I'm assuming he meant the TCS OFF light by the way he stated "TCS warning light", I could be wrong though.

I will agree if the wheel speed sensor is bad the ABS INOP light should come on.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, take a picture right when you turn the ignition on. Every single dash warning/indicator light should come on, if it is just the TCS OFF light that doesn't light up, then unfortunately there is only very few things that will cause this, dead bulb is the most likely of them.

If it is indeed a dead bulb then a new one needs to be soldered in. You will need to put the correct color one in as the lens covering for the bulbs is clear.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
OP, take a picture right when you turn the ignition on. Every single dash warning/indicator light should come on, if it is just the TCS OFF light that doesn't light up, then unfortunately there is only very few things that will cause this, dead bulb is the most likely of them.

If it is indeed a dead bulb then a new one needs to be soldered in. You will need to put the correct color one in as the lens covering for the bulbs is clear.
Wait on LS cars the TCS OFF bulb doesn't twist in. Also my bulbs are clear but I already knew that difference. I've got a 96 so I've still got the mechanical odometer style cluster.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Outlaw Kid
Wait on LS cars the TCS OFF bulb doesn't twist in. Also my bulbs are clear but I already knew that difference. I've got a 96 so I've still got the mechanical odometer style cluster.

Yea, on 97+ clusters they look like this:

as you can see in the last picture, this is the main board for 97+ cluster, and all our lights are soldered in. Now the back lit lights are twist in, but those are the only ones. Sorry for the confusion, didn't know you had a 96. But if that is the case, just swap out the bulb and hopefully that fixes you issue.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Launching!

The OP has a 2000. I've just never seen the back of a 97+ cluster. Kinda makes me not want to switch over, but I think 97+ clusters look better. But the bulbs being soldered in makes sense as to why when people talk about the LED conversion they say they needed like 5 LEDs. After I read that I looked at my cluster and just got lost. I'll switch up one day my cluster is trashed at the moment, so I've got to buy one anyway might as well get the 97 LT1 cluster. I've only got 104xxx miles so I'm trying to find one with low miles.

Nice TA by the way. I swear I've seen pictures of it somewhere before.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Question

Hey, thanks for the responses and pics. Sorry I hadnt checked back because I found the problem. Some bonehead who owned it previosly, for some reason, scratched apart the connection on the board that led to the tcs off light bulb. I took board to a computer repair shop and they fixed connection. Works fine now. Thanks again though, the info on these boards are priceless since I have a fair amount of different things I need to do to car. I do have one hopefully simple question I cant find answer on here to. The steering column tilt upper bearing, can I simply pull out old one and place new one in and the spring will push it down where it needs to go or do I have to have it pressed in? I followed the awesome instructions on here for taking down the steering column and the 4 bolts that seem to usually be the problem for loose steering wheel was not the problem I had. So the tilt bearings are the next thing im gonna try. Every mechanic I talk to wants to replace the whole column for $1000ish. And I think thats bs even though I will eventually do that if I cant find problem. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This may help you: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

Quick Reply: TCS light will not come on. please help