General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

O2 sensors going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensors going bad?

I recently had some headers installed with o2 extensions. Since then, I have noticed a "clicking" noise that seems to be coming from the headers or from the back side of the engine, not quite sure. Are the o2 sensors located on the headers? And can this clicking noise be due to my o2's failing? thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Matters what headers you have, what headers do you have? were they ceramic coated?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

TSP 1 7/8" stainless steel
Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

"......o2 sensors located on the headers? " YEP
"....can this clicking noise be due to my o2's failing? " Do not think so

I think clicking would be a exhoust leak between head and header flang.

could be header bumping frame/body, but do not think so

my .02' Johnny
ps check the header bolts<<<
Old 10-29-2013, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply, I can check if the header bolts were tightened properly. Hope that solves the problem. An exhaust leak can cause a clicking noise? The header was welded on to the y-pipe so it's possible that it wasn't welded completely.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

"..An exhaust leak can cause a clicking noise?..." yep
".. The header was welded on to the y-pipe so it's possible that it wasn't welded completely." do not think so ... ticking/clicking come from flange to head being loose or warped flange
Johnny
Old 10-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1 7/8" headers often cause a clicking.....or ticking sound. Is just the nature of the header and the tapping of the valve train sending that tick noise down through them.

When I got my 427ci installed and my 1 7/8" headers.....same complaint I had to my builder/installer. He said that's what it was and that in time I won't even notice it anymore.....he was right. The only time I hear it now it when I drive along side and close to curb and that ticking noise bounces off the curb and makes it more apparent. Then when I'm clear of the curb its gone.....

If you have no leaks that's probably what it is.

And no.....02 sensors make zero noise. You may get codes soon because headers get a lot hotter than stock exhaust.......you will have to get Denso 02 sensors....they handle that heat better than the old AC Delco sensors and better than the Bosch.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

I took another look today, all the bolts for the headers are good and I didn't notice any part of it hitting the body. I think it's just what ls6427 said, sounds like my valvetrain is more audible. Guess i'll get used to it, thanks.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RickSS
I took another look today, all the bolts for the headers are good and I didn't notice any part of it hitting the body. I think it's just what ls6427 said, sounds like my valvetrain is more audible. Guess i'll get used to it, thanks.
With your driver window down, with your foot still on the gas holding steady rpm, the next time you drive close to a raised curb.....it will get louder from the sound bouncing off it, then it will go away when the curb goes away.

Also, maybe check for a broken spring(s).....that makes that valve train tick a lot more noticeable.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
With your driver window down, with your foot still on the gas holding steady rpm, the next time you drive close to a raised curb.....it will get louder from the sound bouncing off it, then it will go away when the curb goes away.

Also, maybe check for a broken spring(s).....that makes that valve train tick a lot more noticeable.

I was driving with my window down and another car pulled up beside me when I heard it the most, so it's exactly how you describe it. Would I be having any other issues if my spring(s) were cracked?

Quick Reply: O2 sensors going bad?