General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Random Spike in Temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Spike in Temperature?

So I have a 2001 pontiac firebird formula with 117k. The past 3 days my temperature gauge will randomly shoot up to max temp (210?). When I bought the car with 106k I had a new radiator installed and shortly after, around 108k, i installed a new thermostat. I havent had any problems until just the other day. I wasnt hard on the throttle and typically shift around 1700rpm. My "check gauges" light came on and i watched my temp gauge shoot up. I quickly turned the heater on and it instantly went back down to normal (180-200). I had been drivin for atleast half an hour already and sometimes it doesnt even do it. Any ideas? Just a new gauge? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

sssounds like an air pocket inthe coolingsystemburp the system and top off if necesary look for signs ofleakge
Old 11-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Teching In

will do, thank you. If that isn't the case do you think it could just be a bad sensor?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car has a dummy gauge, you can buy an external temp gauge to see if its actually increasing in temp or if the sensor is acting up. Sounds like its an air bubble as mentioned though. I would bleed the system good, and then check it out again before buying anything.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald Kruse
will do, thank you. If that isn't the case do you think it could just be a bad sensor?
It could be a lot of things. I'd start by confirming the cold fluid level in your overflow tank AND at your radiator neck. The overflow should be up to the line on the dipstick and the radiator neck should be full to the top. If that's not the case, then you would probably be looking at the issue.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Usually two things cause temps to shoot up FAST and then drop FAST. A stat that sticks closed, then opens quickly, swapping hit coolant for cool coolant pretty fast. Or a Coolant Temp Sensor that's acting up.

Since you got an SES light when this happened.......I'd say its the sensor. Check the code and see if its Temp Sensor code.

Also, next time you see it shoot up pull over immediately, leave the engine running, out your hand on the air intake. If you can keep it there, you're not getting hot. If you cannot keep on there for more than a second or so, it is getting hot. When coolant temps go up to about the 220*F and above point......the intake starts to get too hot to keep your hand on.

Last edited by LS6427; 12-02-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Since you got an SES light when this happened.......I'd say its the sensor.
The "Check Gauges" light went on, (just like when we are low on gas) not the SES. This was probably due to the temperature reading and would not be related to a sensor code.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Also, next time you see it shoot up pull over immediately, leave the engine running, out your hand on the intake.
Radiator intake, right? Personally, I love an excuse to buy a tool. This would be a great occasion for an infrared thermometer.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
The "Check Gauges" light went on, (just like when we are low on gas) not the SES. This was probably due to the temperature reading and would not be related to a sensor code.
Ah ha.......my brain was thinking SES.

Radiator intake, right? Personally, I love an excuse to buy a tool. This would be a great occasion for an infrared thermometer.
No, on the air intake. Right on top of the runners. Actually, this is what prompted me to buy a laser temp gauge. To see what my intake plastic temps were when my gauge was reading whatever it is. That laser temp gauge is great for power steering cooler temps and to see what the temp sensor is reading in the head as opposed to the gauge. Just so you can have an idea what your individual gauge reads just as a reference.

Quick Reply: Random Spike in Temperature?