General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Random Iginition Problem 02 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Iginition Problem 02 WS6

My ride is developing a starting issue. I have searched on the forums for a few days, but have not found a fix yet.

When starting the car, the starter always functions properly, but about 50% of the time now, the car will not actually start up. The engine and starter just spin. If you briefly let off the key and go to try it again, it starts up like a champ instantly. When trying it a 2nd time, the key is not removed from the ignition between the 1st time.

There are no security lights. The car has good fuel pressure. It's an automatic car, mostly stock. It runs fine once cranked up.

We did try swapping out the stock ignition relay with a bwd relay and the car then refused to start at all. (The starter engaged, but never got the car started, even after trying a 2nd or 3rd time).

Any ideas?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Teching In

If anyone else ever has this problem, it was the ignition relay going out. We tried a 3rd relay, and it now cranks perfect every time again. The 1st relay we bought was trash evidently.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Teching In

re-read your post -- this probably doesn't apply and these are other things to check. Yes, there are some real garbage grey-market parts at the AZ/AA shops. Go AC Delco on electronics or have a way to 100% test the electronic part before installing it. Here in FL, I swear they put defective/broken parts back in those boxes and resell them. MFGers really need to seal the boxes so ensure a good part is sold. The other trick here is to break up sets into individual, hand written boxes and rip you off when in a bind. AA is really bad about that at some stores. Dishonesty.

I thought my fuel pressure was good, but it was my pump failing. recheck your fuel pressure. also change your gas filter if you haven't in 30K miles. Check your gas cap gasket for big cracks -- can't pressurize then.

the fuel pump only lasts about 110K. get a AC GM factory DELCO replacement -- shop rockauto/yahoo/etc... I cut a panel in the trunk top after drilling a peek-hole (be careful because there are lines, wires, and hoses between tank and metal. got some sheet metal and made a top lid and then silaconed it back on, big time. Now no starting problems.

Also -- check your air filter for a block. I sucked in a walmart bag that had a similar effect.

My L05 350-4 TBI truck does the same spinning when it's warm at a stoplight because of fuel pressure. key on-off-on-off-on builds up pressure. probably a pump/regulator issue there as well but too many other things need fixed on it first.

Last edited by cold_surfer; 12-27-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Random Iginition Problem 02 WS6