General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PS Functionality linked with Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PS Functionality linked with Alternator?

Hey guys.

My alternator is practically new, but I think a leaky tail light housing causes electric problems whenever it rains. Sometimes on startups, it would take about a minute for the charge needle to go from the off position to the charging position. The confusing thing though is that when this happens with my new alternator, the power steering is out for exactly the time that the charge needle is at the off position, and kicks on right when the needle goes to the charging position. When this happened with my old alternator, my PS was never affected. And my RPM is at the normal range the whole time...

The LS1 PS system is strictly powered by the pump right? If so, how feasible is it for build up moisture to cause a worn belt to constantly slip on the drive pulley, thus causing these symptoms?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and a Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's both I would assume it's the belt. Have someone else start the car while you watch it.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'd also check the belt and tensioner first, but your description of the start-up issue could also be related to a loose/bad exciter wire. (Like folks commonly run in to after and alternator change.)

Another thing to check would be your belt routing against the diagram on the shock tower.

Quick Reply: PS Functionality linked with Alternator?