General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sluggish, down to 12mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sluggish, down to 12mpg

OK I'm baffled, 2000 LS1 camaro Z28. Mileage has gone from 19 to 12, engine is sluggish, idles smooth and runs smooth, but it is completely gutless. Only mods are SLP lid and K7N filter. MAF is clean and plugs are TR55, and MSD wires only 3 months old. ANy ideas what i might check for?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Air filter
Fuel filter
Throttle body
Intake manifold
Vacuum leak <- that's a big one
Check engine light on?
Clogged EGR, purge valve, PCV valve
Automatic or manual? Torque converters make things sluggish when they start to go out
Fuel injectors getting clogged, run some cleaner

Just some places to start. Good luck.

Quick notes, if its pre-LS6 intake I would clean the whole intake

If its pre-AIR delete, I would look into that.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiggyVanFloggin
OK I'm baffled, 2000 LS1 camaro Z28. Mileage has gone from 19 to 12, engine is sluggish, idles smooth and runs smooth, but it is completely gutless. Only mods are SLP lid and K7N filter. MAF is clean and plugs are TR55, and MSD wires only 3 months old. ANy ideas what i might check for?
What did you gap the plugs at....?

Get rid of the K&N filter......they are 100% garbage and even if you don't think it messes up the MAF immediately after you install it after a fresh oiling of the filter......it does. Any moisture in the air ( rain, mist, foggy day, wet roads, etc.......REACTIVATES THAT OIL AND IT SLAMS RIGHT INTO AND COATS THE MAF........). The second that happens, you just killed oerformance. The MAF is used for WOT runs........if its slightly coated with that crap oil.....your performance will go to ****. And you mileage will go to ****.
Paper filters give better engine protection and power gains from K&N CANNOT be measured in any way to prove anything......great marketing scam..........nuff said there, its been beat to death.

It could be an 02 sensor issue too.......when they start to fail they cause you to run very rich and that kills power too. Get a scan to see how they are switching....

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

BTW - you need to clean the MAF from the BACK SIDE, not the front.... JFYI in case you did like I did the first few times...

See what your TPS % shows at idle (should be zero). The rubber around the PCV leaks air and that will cause all types of problems -- I just installed hose clamps and the problem went away.

Thanks for the tip on K&N and MAF LS6427. Will do. Does my son's 94 V-6 3.4 have the same type of MAF as my LS1 ? Sucked a walmart bag into the air filter housing and that stalled the car out - thought I blew something up..

for the last 30K I have another odd bobble that happens at 0-5% TPS after rolling about 15-40mph. It clears up when I tap the gas, but it's annoying and I could be running more efficiently. Wonder what the heck that is... miles are 133K. stock about everything and all belt driven appliances are fairly new. new standard (non plat) U-electrode NGKplugs at 98K, 8mm wires. maybe I needed the platinums ??
Old 12-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Teching In

ok cleaned the MAF from the backside, throttle body had bunch of black crap around throttle blade. have a live data scanner, O2 sensors working like they should and no codes in the system. can't remember what i gapped the plugs at, used recommendations from here on LS1TECH. performance has returns slightly, no sure about gas mielage yet will know in the next couple days. I'm starting to wonder if i'm just getting used to what this car does stock. I'm going to take car to get dynoed. That way i'll know for sure. i'm hoping ill do better at the track this next year. 15.38 should be easy to better.

Quick Reply: Sluggish, down to 12mpg