General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ws6 2002 trans am headlights cut off when driving !! help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ws6 2002 trans am headlights cut off when driving !! help

so I have a 2002 ws6 trans am. I ordered it and got it new and have never had this problem before [ I also had a 2001 ws6 and a 1996 trans am ] . a few months ago I was driving to work at 4:30 am with the headlights on going down the freeway. all of a sudden all of the headlights just cut off. all the dash lights and everything else worked even the fog lights which I turned on.i got to work and turned them off and about 20 minutes later I came out and turned them on and they worked ?well this happened about 5 or 6 times.there would be a slight buzzing or humming sound at the headlight switch where you turn the lights on and some times there would be a burning smell.i guy that works on my cars said he thought it was a headlight relay switch so he replaced that.i went for about 3 weeks and it never happened again and I thought great its fixed. well this morning im on the way to work and they cut off again.ahhhhhhhhh . I have googled the problem and looked on here [ I used to be a member back in the 90's when it was lt1 ] and I cant find anyone having the same problem and I cant believe im the only person in the world its happening to. if anyone has any suggestions as to what could cause this to happen I would appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did he happen to test the relay, and see if it was the control side (coil) of it or the load side that failed? that would help Id where to start looking for the problem,, I would replace the relay and see if that fixes the problem again, if it does there is a possibility that you got a bad relay, it happens. If the problem happens again, you definately have something else going on. you would need to test the relay and see if the control side is working, (relay is clicking) if it is Ohm the load side out and see if the relay is changing from NO to NC. if it is not, then you probably have something on the load side drawing too many amps bridging the contacts of the relay over. If the coil is smoked, you have something on the control side killing the relay, possibly the switch, or wire that is grounding out, the burning smell is a prime candidate.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:15 AM

thanks for the info.ill get the guy working on it to check that out.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jettt111
well this happened about 5 or 6 times.there would be a slight buzzing or humming sound at the headlight switch where you turn the lights on and some times there would be a burning smell.
Did you check to see if the switch is bad? It would not be unheard of for the switch to go out. It has a number of contacts inside and it could just be fried.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM

he put in a new switch and the lights didn't go out for 3 weeks and I thought it was fixed for sure and then it did it again.where is the headlight relay located. we looked in the 2 black fuse boxes on the driver side near the front and none say headlights ?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Check the wiring to the headlight. There is a connector it plugs into right under each light. I have a bad ground and every now and then it will move a certain way I will either lose my head lights or all four will turn on and are dim. Might help to take a look.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:36 PM

ok thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99formulabird
Check the wiring to the headlight. There is a connector it plugs into right under each light. I have a bad ground and every now and then it will move a certain way I will either lose my head lights or all four will turn on and are dim. Might help to take a look.
Same thing happens to mine. Take the front cover off and turn the headlights on. Then stick your hand down and wiggle the connector around. I bet you can get them to flicker/turn off/dim etc. It's a bad ground.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jettt111
so I have a 2002 ws6 trans am. I ordered it and got it new and have never had this problem before [ I also had a 2001 ws6 and a 1996 trans am ] . a few months ago I was driving to work at 4:30 am with the headlights on going down the freeway. all of a sudden all of the headlights just cut off. all the dash lights and everything else worked even the fog lights which I turned on.i got to work and turned them off and about 20 minutes later I came out and turned them on and they worked ?well this happened about 5 or 6 times.there would be a slight buzzing or humming sound at the headlight switch where you turn the lights on and some times there would be a burning smell.i guy that works on my cars said he thought it was a headlight relay switch so he replaced that.i went for about 3 weeks and it never happened again and I thought great its fixed. well this morning im on the way to work and they cut off again.ahhhhhhhhh . I have googled the problem and looked on here [ I used to be a member back in the 90's when it was lt1 ] and I cant find anyone having the same problem and I cant believe im the only person in the world its happening to. if anyone has any suggestions as to what could cause this to happen I would appreciate it.
man bro im glad I kept searching because my 02 WS6 just started doing this exact same thing!!!! I have checked the fuses and my connectors underneath the headlights look brand new so they aren't the culprit, so where is this relay and which exact switch do I need to check? the switch that turns the headlights on?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
man bro im glad I kept searching because my 02 WS6 just started doing this exact same thing!!!! I have checked the fuses and my connectors underneath the headlights look brand new so they aren't the culprit, so where is this relay and which exact switch do I need to check? the switch that turns the headlights on?
There isn't a relay. Yes, check the actual headlight switch. They do go bad and cause exactly what OP described. It happened on my 96 Camaro years ago, just lost headlights, everything else worked, and it was the switch.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a fuseable link feeding the switch and the schematics show a fast acting circuit breaker built into the HL switch itself!<kinda blows my mind but that's what my GM drawings show. So if it was the fuseable link it would not reset, But the CB in the HL switch would reset. I'd be looking to see what is causing the overload on the switch.

The parking lights are powered from a separate 20 amp fuse, that's why they stay on. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails ws6 2002 trans am headlights cut off when driving !! help-headlamps-1021.jpg  

Last edited by RockinWs6; 01-06-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: ws6 2002 trans am headlights cut off when driving !! help