General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Conclusion:F*ck the PCV!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
harbor freight has a hand held scanner for $100 that will check O2 sensors .
Thanks Ill check it out. Any recommended brands or they all fairly similar?

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you have an original TPS it could also have a worn spot in it.....that can send improper signals to the PCM also, making the IAC valve open up more than it should for the given situation.....allowing more air in then it should be.

And at least with my engine once.....I had a worn TPS and I got no codes or SES lights. But replacing it fixed my issues. I just put a new one on hoping that was it and it worked. Because everything else looked fine and/or checked out.

It's another part you can buy to check....if it doesn't help, return it for a refund. Just tell them you never installed it.

Everything, I believe, is original, only thing Ive replaced has been a window motor. So Ill check the IAC and TPS.

Before I start pulling **** apart. Should I try a smoke test first or try with carb cleaner/starter fluid? I read electronics cleaner works too? Lots of conflicting opinions on that one.Thanks
Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardianMagnuSS
Thanks Ill check it out. Any recommended brands or they all fairly similar?

Everything, I believe, is original, only thing Ive replaced has been a window motor. So Ill check the IAC and TPS.

Before I start pulling **** apart. Should I try a smoke test first or try with carb cleaner/starter fluid? I read electronics cleaner works too? Lots of conflicting opinions on that one.Thanks
Carb cleaner is good.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Carb cleaner is good. .
thank you again
Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Default Calling LS6427

Originally Posted by ls6427
for what its worth...here's my pcv system below....very simple....zero oil in the intake......much better than the factory set-up in my opinion.
One breather/filter on the drivers side valve cover....then one hose sucking crankcase gases from the passengers side valve cover. Everything else capped off. Fresh air gets pulled in and across the entire engine, then evacuated through the pcv valve and intake vacuum. I haven't had a drop of oil in my intake since i did this.
I was reading about cleaning intakes, etc. etc. and came across this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...eafoam-vs.html

Well seeming im dealing with most likey PCV leak I found this interesting. I would like to eliminate any of that system I can. I also have a lid with a hose running to the air pump?
Is that necessary I saw some posts about air deletes that might be a whole other can of worms.

Noticed that you have a iron block though, so would this breather setup work on my car?

Im also curious if a Ls6 valley cover would be necessary? or could do both? Breather/filter and Ls6 VC.

Or just go for Ls6 VC and oil catch cans?

Ive searched around and wonder if there are any downfalls to any of these setups, if even possible with a couple I mentioned.
As well as whats cheaper and or safer. I read you need to change oil more with a breather setup? don't know if that's true.

What are your thoughts? Sorry about the bombardment of questions. Ive been meaning to ask, you know your ****. Let me know if I should post a thread about this. Or PM me, much appreciation! Lots to learn here.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:26 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The vacuum leak I had was my motivation to the '04 LS6 PCV. I later yanked the AIR out during the header install. Easy stuff to do and cleans up the engine bay.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demonspeed
The vacuum leak I had was my motivation to the '04 LS6 PCV. I later yanked the AIR out during the header install. Easy stuff to do and cleans up the engine bay.
I'm feeling the same. Why go thru fixing it if it's just gonna leak again in the future.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:44 AM
Banned

I was reading about cleaning intakes, etc. etc. and came across this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...eafoam-vs.html

Well seeming im dealing with most likey PCV leak I found this interesting. I would like to eliminate any of that system I can. I also have a lid with a hose running to the air pump?
Is that necessary I saw some posts about air deletes that might be a whole other can of worms.

Noticed that you have a iron block though, so would this breather setup work on my car?

Im also curious if a Ls6 valley cover would be necessary? or could do both? Breather/filter and Ls6 VC.

Or just go for Ls6 VC and oil catch cans?

Ive searched around and wonder if there are any downfalls to any of these setups, if even possible with a couple I mentioned.
As well as whats cheaper and or safer. I read you need to change oil more with a breather setup? don't know if that's true.

What are your thoughts? Sorry about the bombardment of questions. Ive been meaning to ask, you know your ****. Let me know if I should post a thread about this. Or PM me, much appreciation! Lots to learn here.
Well, here's what I know and what I've tested for over 5 years on my old 427ci.....

(((And I don't know anything about LS6 Valley covers past 2002 versions, maybe they are better)))

PCV systems are totally unnecessary. All they do is gum up your intake with oil, which then coats your pistons with oil that burns onto them and later will cause detonation.
Ask me how I know........

Cleaned up:

NOW.....something people might argue. The LS6 Valley cover, at least on my 427ci, with a brand new PCV valve and other brand new PCV valves that I tried. It sucks way too much oil mist out of the crankcase. I had massive oil burning and I couldn't figure out why. I capped off the LS6 Valley cover port and my oil burning issues stopped 100%. I have never hooked it back up again and never will.

So.....my recommendation. Cap off BOTH vacuum ports.....on the passengers side of the intake in the front, the main vacuum port....and cap off that ridiculous WOT vacuum port on the TB. Then put a breather on the drivers side valve cover in the rear and put a breather on the passengers side valve cover on the oil fill cap. Or better, put one on the vacuum port on the passengers side valve cover. Also, a good idea to put one on the actual LS6 Valley cover port.

Then do a top end engine clean...NOT WITH SEAFOAM. Seafoam is good stuff for some things......but its total 100% useless for top end cleaning. Go buy a GM top end cleaner or Yamaha Outboard foam cleaner. It must be a FOAM or you're wasting your time.

Also, you must change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles, no more......should do that anyway.

No need to buy an LS6 Valley cover, and then have to go out to buy a catch can to catch all the oil that the valley cover sucks out of the crankcase, to make it seem like the valley cover is actually working.

Nothing bad can happen to the engine by running no PCV system. I did it for 5 years and my oil changes were always nice clean oil with zero moisture in it at each oil change.

And the best part......NO OIL going through my engine, which is just about the dumbest design an auto manufacturer could have ever come up with.

On my new engine, the iron 390ci. I put a PCV system on it because during break in and dyno tuning its good to have that positive vacuum to keep the oil off the cylinder walls as much as possible for break in. It's coming off pretty soon. And it'll just have breathers.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

well, here's what i know and what i've tested for over 5 years on my old 427ci.....

(((and i don't know anything about ls6 valley covers past 2002 versions, maybe they are better)))

pcv systems are totally unnecessary. All they do is gum up your intake with oil, which then coats your pistons with oil that burns onto them and later will cause detonation.
Ask me how i know........
Yea those pics are a nice example of a crap design.

Now.....something people might argue. The ls6 valley cover, at least on my 427ci, with a brand new pcv valve and other brand new pcv valves that i tried. It sucks way too much oil mist out of the crankcase. I had massive oil burning and i couldn't figure out why. I capped off the ls6 valley cover port and my oil burning issues stopped 100%. I have never hooked it back up again and never will.
Demon, you got input on this? With the 04 Ls6 VC conversion.

So.....my recommendation. Cap off both vacuum ports.....on the passengers side of the intake in the front, the main vacuum port....and cap off that ridiculous wot vacuum port on the tb. Then put a breather on the drivers side valve cover in the rear and put a breather on the passengers side valve cover on the oil fill cap. Or better, put one on the vacuum port on the passengers side valve cover. Also, a good idea to put one on the actual ls6 valley cover port.
I have LS1 valley cover is this setup what you're explaining? Would the VC swap and your breather application still apply if I choose to convert to it?

Then do a top end engine clean...not with seafoam. Seafoam is good stuff for some things......but its total 100% useless for top end cleaning. Go buy a gm top end cleaner or yamaha outboard foam cleaner. It must be a foam or you're wasting your time.
In that thread you were all about the MCCC, would the Gm top cleaner be after the swap only then switch to MCCC for future cleanings?

Also, you must change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles, no more......should do that anyway.

No need to buy an ls6 valley cover, and then have to go out to buy a catch can to catch all the oil that the valley cover sucks out of the crankcase, to make it seem like the valley cover is actually working.

Nothing bad can happen to the engine by running no pcv system. I did it for 5 years and my oil changes were always nice clean oil with zero moisture in it at each oil change.

And the best part......no oil going through my engine, which is just about the dumbest design an auto manufacturer could have ever come up with.

On my new engine, the iron 390ci. I put a pcv system on it because during break in and dyno tuning its good to have that positive vacuum to keep the oil off the cylinder walls as much as possible for break in. It's coming off pretty soon. And it'll just have breathers.
Oil and filter changes: got it!

So you're saying just do a breather setup no need for 04 LS6 conversion?

I would like to clean up my engine bay but if that swap is unnecessary then screw it. Thanks
Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Banned

I have LS1 valley cover is this setup what you're explaining? Would the VC swap and your breather application still apply if I choose to convert to it?
I had the LS1 valley cover of course when my engine was stock. When my 427ci was built they added an LS6 VC in 2002 when my engine was built. I had massive oil burn.....it was all because of that VC. As soon as I capped the VC port to see if it would make a difference......100% of my oil burning stopped.

In that thread you were all about the MCCC, would the Gm top cleaner be after the swap only then switch to MCCC for future cleanings?
MCCC is the best product out there. Is just very hard to find. Call your local Dodge/Chrysler dealer....if they have it than definitely use that. But the GM and Yamaha stuff is Rey good too.

So you're saying just do a breather setup no need for 04 LS6 conversion?
That's what worked GREAT for my engine for its last 6-7 years of its life. NO PCV system.....and if you choose to do that then NO, dont waste your money on the LS6 VC and a catch can to catch the oil it sucks out of the crankcase. Perfectly clean oil at my changes and no moisture in the oil without a PCV and only breathers. So it works.

I would like to clean up my engine bay but if that swap is unnecessary then screw it. Thanks
PCV systems are only good for brand new engines......after an engine is broken in they are 100% unnecessary.

But they've been around so long......that most people think they still need it. A LOT of people, thousands, are running stock engines, mildly modded and heavily modded....and boosted set ups WITHOUT any PCV at all. It's NOT needed. It does nothing but dirty up the top end of an engine with oil.

Last edited by LS6427; 01-25-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Banned

And with oil mist going into the intake, the air/fuel is not what the PCM thinks it is. The MAF reads the air going into the intake and then metered the proper fuel to be sprayed into the cylinders. That Air/Fuel can't be perfect with a PCV system if there's a constant oil mist mixing with the air/fuel. The manufacturer knows this, but YES, it's a very small amount. But it's still not right to have oil in the air flow.........

And, the 02 sensors can also read properly when there isn't oil thrown into the mix.

PCV valves sometimes stick open and don't fully close and you won't know it until you see how your engine is burning oil weeks later.......imagine how much oil has been going through the top end in those weeks to gum up your entire top end.....a lot.

Screw that. I only want fresh air no fuel going through my engine.....as it was designed to do.

Just my personal thoughts on how my engines will be treated.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Banned

In my opinion......this is the ultimate way to set it up. Dual breather lines, one coming off each valve cover, large metal lines, running back to the rear near the gas tank. Then if you want to be nice to the atmosphere you can do what he did and add a catch can with a breather filter on it for any oil that gets pushed out over time. Or just run both metal lines to a breather filter.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/17099663-post5.html

Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

In my opinion......this is the ultimate way to set it up. Dual breather lines, one coming off each valve cover, large metal lines, running back to the rear near the gas tank. Then if you want to be nice to the atmosphere you can do what he did and add a catch can with a breather filter on it for any oil that gets pushed out over time. Or just run both metal lines to a breather filter. https://ls1tech.com/forums/17099663-post5.html .
Nice!!! is this setup what you're gonna do for your new engine?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

Nice!!! is this setup what you're gonna do for your new engine?
Yup.....when it gets boosted.......

For now I'm just removing my PCV and capping everything.....and adding breathers.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Yup.....when it gets boosted.......

For now I'm just removing my PCV and capping everything.....and adding breathers.

Very nice could I run it with just breathers?

Did you get oil mist in your engine bay?

I'm just curious to do it your way to get use to the system I guess.

What would I need to do it your way? AND............

Just for the hell of it, what would I need for the valve cover to can with breather?

Like I said NEWB! Love this thing but wtf is that thing there.... no clue?
Old 01-26-2014, 02:20 AM
Banned

Very nice could I run it with just breathers?
Yes.

Did you get oil mist in your engine bay?
ABSOLUTELY NONE.......you have to use small, tightly woven breathers. The big common breathers you see everyone using.....those cause oil misting because the oil gets through the mesh.

What would I need to do it your way? AND............
You need to use fuel filters......the ones that are about 3 inches long and maybe the diameter of your finger. You just need to make them up yourself. Very easy and very cheap.
I will try to find my pictures of how I did it and what I bought.

Just for the hell of it, what would I need for the valve cover to can with breather?
CAN.......with breather.....?.?

Like I said NEWB! Love this thing but wtf is that thing there.... no clue?
Wtf is what thing???

LOL

Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Yes.
Sweet

ABSOLUTELY NONE.......you have to use small, tightly woven breathers. The big common breathers you see everyone using.....those cause oil misting because the oil gets through the mesh.
Yea I noticed in your pics from that Top Cleaner Thread they were quite small.

You need to use fuel filters......the ones that are about 3 inches long and maybe the diameter of your finger. You just need to make them up yourself. Very easy and very cheap.
I will try to find my pictures of how I did it and what I bought.
Yea pics and just a breakdown of what ya used would be awesome.

CAN.......with breather.....?.?
Yea I should of elaborated some more. For the Breather Oil Tank(Can) setup in the rear.

I saw he used this tank http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...52202/10002/-1

But do I need valve covers made with the -10AN fittings and what type of hose did he use and whatnot?

Is there a writeup somewhere so I can see the materials used for this?

His setup looked really nice!

He explained: I run -10 hose off of each valve cover for about a foot, then it goes to two 1/2" aluminum hard lines running to the rear of the car.
Right before the catch can they go back to -10 hose and 90*s at the catch can.

He never got into the types of hose and fittings, just the sizes.

Wtf is what thing???

LOL
Like I said Im a total I could point at something in the engine bay and say WTF is that? Oh the engine gotcha! JK. I know that much.

Really appreciate the help!!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Banned

Sweet

Yea I noticed in your pics from that Top Cleaner Thread they were quite small.

Yea pics and just a breakdown of what ya used would be awesome.

Yea I should of elaborated some more. For the Breather Oil Tank(Can) setup in the rear.

I saw he used this tank http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...52202/10002/-1

But do I need valve covers made with the -10AN fittings and what type of hose did he use and whatnot?

Is there a writeup somewhere so I can see the materials used for this?

His setup looked really nice!

He explained: I run -10 hose off of each valve cover for about a foot, then it goes to two 1/2" aluminum hard lines running to the rear of the car.
Right before the catch can they go back to -10 hose and 90*s at the catch can.

He never got into the types of hose and fittings, just the sizes.

Like I said Im a total I could point at something in the engine bay and say WTF is that? Oh the engine gotcha! JK. I know that much.

Really appreciate the help!!
I remember PMing that guy and asking questions. Send him a PM and he'll tell you everything. But all you have to do is drill holes in your current valve covers, weld a fitting on them and connect the metal lines. BUT.....if you go back to that thread he posted in and go through the pages you will see how someone welded baffles on the inside of the valve covers....you MUST do that too. It's very cheap and easy for a welder to do. 10 minute job. That way the oil mist under the valve covers won't get sucked out, the baffles stop that from happening.

I'm still trying to find the pictures of the parts I bought to make up my breathers.
Basically.....I just went to the area of the parts store and found the fuel filters, then I found little short 2 to 3 inch pieces of rubber hoses that would push tightly into the hole in the one end of the filters, then that little rubber hose piece would push into a 3/8" piece of heater hose. Ten clamped them onto the ports.
You already have a port on each valve cover....a 3/8" heater hose will tightly push onto those ports without a clamp being needed. So just put together two little breathers that can mount to one end of a 3/8" heater hose.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Banned

Here ya go, found it. Everything you need to know to make small fuel filter breathers. I think they cost maybe $5.00 each to make.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...hlight=PCV+set

Old 01-26-2014, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I remember PMing that guy and asking questions. Send him a PM and he'll tell you everything. But all you have to do is drill holes in your current valve covers, weld a fitting on them and connect the metal lines. BUT.....if you go back to that thread he posted in and go through the pages you will see how someone welded baffles on the inside of the valve covers....you MUST do that too. It's very cheap and easy for a welder to do. 10 minute job. That way the oil mist under the valve covers won't get sucked out, the baffles stop that from happening. I'm still trying to find the pictures of the parts I bought to make up my breathers. Basically.....I just went to the area of the parts store and found the fuel filters, then I found little short 2 to 3 inch pieces of rubber hoses that would push tightly into the hole in the one end of the filters, then that little rubber hose piece would push into a 3/8" piece of heater hose. Ten clamped them onto the ports. You already have a port on each valve cover....a 3/8" heater hose will tightly push onto those ports without a clamp being needed. So just put together two little breathers that can mount to one end of a 3/8" heater hose. .
Awesome man I will hit him up.

Here ya go, found it. Everything you need to know to make small fuel filter breathers. I think they cost maybe $5.00 each to make. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...hlight=PCV+set .
Thanks so much!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Banned

Awesome man I will hit him up.

Thanks so much!
No problem.

And that little black plastic grommet you see in my pictures. That was a plastic grommet that was put into the rear hole in my drivers side valve cover to cap it off......my builder did it.

I just drilled a hole in it so the little rubber hose would fit into it. It worked great.

Quick Reply: Conclusion:F*ck the PCV!