General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Conclusion:F*ck the PCV!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
No problem.

And that little black plastic grommet you see in my pictures. That was a plastic grommet that was put into the rear hole in my drivers side valve cover to cap it off......my builder did it.

I just drilled a hole in it so the little rubber hose would fit into it. It worked great.
Nice I just went to autozone and saw most of what I would need.

Think I'm gonna go your setup first and down the road I'll get valve covers and do the other setup.

Do you need to change the filters ever?

So.....my recommendation. Cap off BOTH vacuum ports.....on the passengers side of the intake in the front, the main vacuum port....and cap off that ridiculous WOT vacuum port on the TB. Then put a breather on the drivers side valve cover in the rear and put a breather on the passengers side valve cover on the oil fill cap. Or better, put one on the vacuum port on the passengers side valve cover. Also, a good idea to put one on the actual LS6 Valley cover port.
So if I cap both vac ports and put the breathers on the valve covers I'm all set?

What about the passenger valve cover to pcv intake for air? Or is that even needed?

I have Ls1 valley cover that doesn't have a port for a breather right?

So would I need a breather on the oil cap? If I use the pass valve cover port for the pcv intake?

Just wanna get this right! Thanks bud
Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardianMagnuSS
Nice I just went to autozone and saw most of what I would need.

Think I'm gonna go your setup first and down the road I'll get valve covers and do the other setup.

Do you need to change the filters ever?
Just look at them every few weeks, they will get dark over time from oil vapors. When they get real dirty, change them. Mine lasted like 3 years before I put new ones on.

So if I cap both vac ports and put the breathers on the valve covers I'm all set?

What about the passenger valve cover to pcv intake for air? Or is that even needed?

I have Ls1 valley cover that doesn't have a port for a breather right?

So would I need a breather on the oil cap? If I use the pass valve cover port for the pcv intake?

Just wanna get this right! Thanks bud
Yes, cap both vacuum ports.

Put a breather on each valve cover. If you want to use an oil fill cap breather, then cap off that valve cover port on the passenger valve cover like I did in my picture. Then put a filter breather on the rear of the drivers side valve cover.

No, your LS1 valley cover has no port.

And remember, when you go breathers instead of a normal PCV vacuum set up....the breathers are not intakes for air. They are only outflows for excess crankcase pressure. The combustion that gets past the rings fills the crankcase with gases and pressure......the breathers are how that pressure gets out.

So one breather on each valve cover, put an additional breather on the oil fill (if you want to) and literally cap everything else off. That's it.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Just look at them every few weeks, they will get dark over time from oil vapors. When they get real dirty, change them. Mine lasted like 3 years before I put new ones on. Yes, cap both vacuum ports. Put a breather on each valve cover. If you want to use an oil fill cap breather, then cap off that valve cover port on the passenger valve cover like I did in my picture. Then put a filter breather on the rear of the drivers side valve cover. No, your LS1 valley cover has no port. And remember, when you go breathers instead of a normal PCV vacuum set up....the breathers are not intakes for air. They are only outflows for excess crankcase pressure. The combustion that gets past the rings fills the crankcase with gases and pressure......the breathers are how that pressure gets out. So one breather on each valve cover, put an additional breather on the oil fill (if you want to) and literally cap everything else off. That's it. .
Is there an advantage to having the setup like you did on your 427? The passenger valve cover to pcv is what I'm curious about I guess. Say I put breathers on oil cap and driver side valve cover, and hooked passenger valve cover to pcv like you did, would that work? Are there benefits or disadvantages to going that setup or not? Or would that just not work or totally unnecessary with the ls1 valley cover? Thanks for your patience and help!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Banned

Is there an advantage to having the setup like you did on your 427? The passenger valve cover to pcv is what I'm curious about I guess. Say I put breathers on oil cap and driver side valve cover, and hooked passenger valve cover to pcv like you did, would that work? Are there benefits or disadvantages to going that setup or not? Or would that just not work or totally unnecessary with the ls1 valley cover? Thanks for your patience and help!
That would work just fine as long as you had a PCV valve in there right next to the vacuum port. BUT....you will still have oil going into your intake.

I also put a needle valve inline so I could turn down the vacuum strength. Is just a T fitting with a screw in it. It was right next to the spot in the line where the PCV valve is.

But it was just another experiment, that worked great too. I was able to simply turn the screw tighter to close off more of the vacuum pull from the passengers side valve cover......

But there's just no need for the PCV system.....it took me awhile to realize it. PCV systems are never going on any of my engines again.....unless its just a factory stock minivan or normal family car. Or the E63 AMG I'm getting soon....Germans don't have cheesy PCV systems like American cars have.

Catch Cans were invented because PCV systems don't work. But the thought of thick black oil going through an engine that is designed for AIR.....is just ludicrous.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

If you want to still have a pull of vacuum from the crankcase......but NO oil going into the intake......buy one of those exhaust pipe fittings that you have welded into the exhaust pipe somewhere after the cats and 02 sensors.......you hook a line to it and the exhaust that is moving fast by that fitting inside the pipe pulls vacuum. Then it pulls gases out of the crankcase and out the exhaust pipes.

Last edited by LS6427; 01-27-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

That would work just fine as long as you had a PCV valve in there right next to the vacuum port. BUT....you will still have oil going into your intake. I also put a needle valve inline so I could turn down the vacuum strength. Is just a T fitting with a screw in it. It was right next to the spot in the line where the PCV valve is. But it was just another experiment, that worked great too. I was able to simply turn the screw tighter to close off more of the vacuum pull from the passengers side valve cover...... But there's just no need for the PCV system.....it took me awhile to realize it. PCV systems are never going on any of my engines again.....unless its just a factory stock minivan or normal family car. Or the E63 AMG I'm getting soon....Germans don't have cheesy PCV systems like American cars have. Catch Cans were invented because PCV systems don't work. But the thought of thick black oil going through an engine that is designed for AIR.....is just ludicrous. .
Well I'm sold then! If I don't need the pcv I'll just do the breathers. Then I'll do a Top end cleaning. Thanks.

Does it throw any codes when you delete it out?

I plan on doing the air delete at the same time with my friend who has an LT1 Trans. I know I'll get codes from that. Suppose I could look it up.

Anything else you suggest maybe taking care of while I'm doing these deletes?

Nice man, I like me some Mercs. Especially the CLK63 Black from Top Gear "enough torque to rotate the earth" haha. The E63 looks nice. Coupe or sedan?

If you want to still have a pull of vacuum from the crankcase......but NO oil going into the intake......buy one of those exhaust pipe fittings that you have welded into the exhaust pipe somewhere after the cats and 02 sensors.......you hook a line to it and the exhaust that is moving fast by that fitting inside the pipe pulls vacuum. Then it pulls gases out of the crankcase and out the exhaust pipes. .
Yea I'll try the breathers for a while then think I'll go for the dual breather to the tank in the rear if I get to it. Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Banned

Well I'm sold then! If I don't need the pcv I'll just do the breathers. Then I'll do a Top end cleaning. Thanks.

Does it throw any codes when you delete it out?

I plan on doing the air delete at the same time with my friend who has an LT1 Trans. I know I'll get codes from that. Suppose I could look it up.

Anything else you suggest maybe taking care of while I'm doing these deletes?

Nice man, I like me some Mercs. Especially the CLK63 Black from Top Gear "enough torque to rotate the earth" haha. The E63 looks nice. Coupe or sedan?

Yea I'll try the breathers for a while then think I'll go for the dual breather to the tank in the rear if I get to it. Thanks again.
No codes when you remove the PCV system. Yea, remove the PCV system, then do the top end cleaning.

Actually, I'm talking to Wiestec Engineering about their SC'er system they make for the 2007-2008 E63 AMG. 750 HP+
I might get it.......
Oh.....2008 E63 AMG Sedan.......

This is a C63.....but the SC'er package is 100% identical for E63 or C63. Any Merc with that same N/A engine.

Imagine the look on a Lambo owners face when this happens......LOL

Old 01-27-2014, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

No codes when you remove the PCV system. Yea, remove the PCV system, then do the top end cleaning.
Sweet!!!! Thanks a ton!

Actually, I'm talking to Wiestec Engineering about their SC'er system they make for the 2007-2008 E63 AMG. 750 HP+ I might get it....... Oh.....2008 E63 AMG Sedan....... This is a C63.....but the SC'er package is 100% identical for E63 or C63. Any Merc with that same N/A engine. Imagine the look on a Lambo owners face when this happens......LOL Video Link: http://youtu.be/hPgX53cfAvA .
Fukin right man, that's some ****! You have fun with that, I'll let ya know if all goes well here. Hopefully get it done sometime in March, hate the winter! Thanks I owe ya!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

How do I change this thread name to "**** the PCV" btw. Haha
Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Banned

How do I change this thread name to "**** the PCV" btw. Haha

Haha....try the Advanced Tab when you try to edit the original post.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Haha....try the Advanced Tab when you try to edit the original post.
BAM! F that thing!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Banned

But get ready for the people posting now.....how the PCV system is so important.......LOL.....

Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

But get ready for the people posting now.....how the PCV system is so important.......LOL..... .
It'll be long gone by that time, most likely.

Quick Reply: Conclusion:F*ck the PCV!