General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Long starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long starts

As stated in another thread the car takes 10-15 cranks before it starts for the first time or when it sits more then a few minutes. When you start it up right away it starts up much faster. Today i noticed when i was filling up gas that alot of air was hitting my hand from the nozzle, the gas nozzle has two vent holes at the top of it and ive honestly never noticed this much air at all hitting my hand so it was very unusual.

Just a little about the car it has new plugs, wires, coil, opti and maf. Also to rule out battery and alternator they were test and we also tried jumping the car just for the hell of it in the begining of diagnosing and it started up 10-15 cranks later so the problem was still there. My mechanic thinks its ignition, i dont think it is the car pulls strong and hard through the rpms with no hick up at all. Only options im thinking is something with the gas tank maybe the evap canister not sure, afpr but im pretty lost at this point and 2 different mechanics are not able to figure it out either.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by karpetcm
As stated in another thread the car takes 10-15 cranks before it starts for the first time or when it sits more then a few minutes. When you start it up right away it starts up much faster. Today i noticed when i was filling up gas that alot of air was hitting my hand from the nozzle, the gas nozzle has two vent holes at the top of it and ive honestly never noticed this much air at all hitting my hand so it was very unusual.

Just a little about the car it has new plugs, wires, coil, opti and maf. Also to rule out battery and alternator they were test and we also tried jumping the car just for the hell of it in the begining of diagnosing and it started up 10-15 cranks later so the problem was still there. My mechanic thinks its ignition, i dont think it is the car pulls strong and hard through the rpms with no hick up at all. Only options im thinking is something with the gas tank maybe the evap canister not sure, afpr but im pretty lost at this point and 2 different mechanics are not able to figure it out either.
Has the fuel pump, fuel filter, or FPR ever been replaced?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for sure no, ive looked at the afpr and the filter and they look old. The fuel pump for sure i would not know. I think im gonna just order a new afpr and filter to start with. Does anyone have a link to a site to get a stock afpr? thanks for the help MTN_Z
Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace the fuel filter and get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure before buying anything else.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i took it to this mechanic but he is very lazy both mechanics i took it too. His gauge wasnt working well either. Im gonna buy a filter which is cheap replace it and look for a real mechanic shop and get a good reading on my fuel pressure i use to have the gauge i dont know what i did with it.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard some parts stores loan them out. None around me do but it wouldn't hurt to check. Make sure after you turn the key off once that the pressure doesn't bleed down quickly. If it does may be a bad fpr or injector.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to get an idea so if it read 45psi at idle with vac hose off and then after 5 seconds it goes to zero then it would be fpr or injector? just to get an idea. How long does it take to go from 45psi for example after you turn the car off to go back down to zero psi.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by karpetcm
to get an idea so if it read 45psi at idle with vac hose off and then after 5 seconds it goes to zero then it would be fpr or injector? just to get an idea. How long does it take to go from 45psi for example after you turn the car off to go back down to zero psi.
Based on my experience, that is probably the regulator. I've had a gauge on my Camaro before and it was at 55 psi still when I checked it again hours after the first check. It shouldn't bleed off that quick. Stuck injector is a possibility, but not very likely.

Quick Reply: Long starts