General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Not getting fuel. Hmmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not getting fuel. Hmmmmm

My 01 pontiac firebird formula is not starting. I haven't started it in a couple weeks and it's been friggin cold over here lately. Today i went to start it and it just sounds dry. No firing at all. It is getting spark b/c i sprayed some starting fluid in the tb and it fired but that's it.

I checked the fuel pump fuse and it is fine. Could jt be the fuel pump itself? I can't remember but do you normally hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key to the on position? I don't hear anything when i turn my key to the on position just the dash lights and the normal dinging.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a fuel pump relay you could check and make sure it's good. Other than that get a fuel pressure gauge and throw it on there and see what the pressure is. Could also check the wiring at the pump and make sure it's getting power.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Launching!

this is my first LS1 and I'm fairly new to it since I haven't really had any major issues with it. Can you please point me in the right direction as to where the fuel pump is and the fuel pump relay?

I've seen vids of people cutting a trap door above the gas tank to access the fuel pump....is it located in the same place on an '01 Formula?

Also, does the anti theft system cut the fuel pump out??

Again, thanks for all the help.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Launching!

When you turn the key on, are you supposed to normally hear the fuel pump kick on? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's an LT1 so I'm not sure about some of the stuff on the LS1's. The fuel pump is in the tank. You can cut an access hole to get to it and the wiring. Not sure if the relay is in the same place as the LT1's but mine is in the driver side kick panel by the clutch. As far as hearing the fuel pump I don't hear it on mine. Some cars you can hear it and some you can't. It's not a reliable way to tell if it's on or not. I'm not 100% sure but I think the anti theft disables the injectors not the fuel pump. Still the easiest thing to do is get a fuel pressure gauge and see if you have pressure.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by notnilc20
When you turn the key on, are you supposed to normally hear the fuel pump kick on? Thanks.
Yes.....the second you turn the key to the ON position you should hear the fuel pump BUZZING for maybe 3-4 seconds. It's very noticeable. The pumps are inside the fuel tank. There's an easy way to get to it to change it by dremel cutting a trap door right above the tank back in the hatch area. Or, it's quite labor intensive and expensive to have a shop drop the tank to do it that way.

Want to see if its a bad fuel pump.......just turn the key to the ON position....then pop the hood and push the relief pin at the fuel rail. Make sure you use a rag to cover it so you don't get sprayed in the face.......see if fuel sprays out. If it doesn't, its a bad pump, pump fuse or pump wiring.

If it is your fuel pump.....DO NOT get another factory pump from the dealership. Get a Racetronix fuel set up. It's either cheaper or about the same.....but it's WAY WAY better. My Racetronix set up is now 13 years old and doing great. It's perfect for stock engines...... And it's good for about 550-600 RWHP.......

Old 01-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yes.....the second you turn the key to the ON position you should hear the fuel pump BUZZING for maybe 3-4 seconds. It's very noticeable. The pumps are inside the fuel tank. There's an easy way to get to it to change it by dremel cutting a trap door right above the tank back in the hatch area. Or, it's quite labor intensive and expensive to have a shop drop the tank to do it that way.

Want to see if its a bad fuel pump.......just turn the key to the ON position....then pop the hood and push the relief pin at the fuel rail. Make sure you use a rag to cover it so you don't get sprayed in the face.......see if fuel sprays out. If it doesn't, its a bad pump, pump fuse or pump wiring.

If it is your fuel pump.....DO NOT get another factory pump from the dealership. Get a Racetronix fuel set up. It's either cheaper or about the same.....but it's WAY WAY better. My Racetronix set up is now 13 years old and doing great. It's perfect for stock engines...... And it's good for about 550-600 RWHP.......

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
Mine's an LT1 so I'm not sure about some of the stuff on the LS1's. The fuel pump is in the tank. You can cut an access hole to get to it and the wiring. Not sure if the relay is in the same place as the LT1's but mine is in the driver side kick panel by the clutch. As far as hearing the fuel pump I don't hear it on mine. Some cars you can hear it and some you can't. It's not a reliable way to tell if it's on or not. I'm not 100% sure but I think the anti theft disables the injectors not the fuel pump. Still the easiest thing to do is get a fuel pressure gauge and see if you have pressure.

Thanks for the excellent info.

Last edited by notnilc20; 01-26-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Ok so i cut the trap door and all went well. I then tested the grey power wire to the fuel pump and it was getting juice for about 3 seconds after you turn the key to "on" position. So that all seems normal. Except the pump is not activating. Which means i'll order a new one tonight. Thanks for everyones help. This board is very helpful with helpful members. Thanks again!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Wow, of all the things to get stuck on. I can't get the pump out if the tank. The plastic is just a fraction to big to get out of the hole in the gas tank. Any tips or advice?
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Quick question. I got an aftermarket fuel pump but it didn't come with a proper fitting pigtail to fit into the harness on the fuel pump and the wiring that's off the old fuel pump doesn't fit the new fuel pump. Is there any danger if i used a pigtail that isn't waterproof? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by notnilc20
Quick question. I got an aftermarket fuel pump but it didn't come with a proper fitting pigtail to fit into the harness on the fuel pump and the wiring that's off the old fuel pump doesn't fit the new fuel pump. Is there any danger if i used a pigtail that isn't waterproof? Thanks.
Is it the Delphi pump assembly??

If so, they give you the 'adapter' pigtail and some of those heat shrink waterproof type connectors. Use this and make sure that you heat it until that plastic around the connector melts and seals the whole deal watertight.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Is it the Delphi pump assembly??

If so, they give you the 'adapter' pigtail and some of those heat shrink waterproof type connectors. Use this and make sure that you heat it until that plastic around the connector melts and seals the whole deal watertight.
I bought the Delphi pump and i didn't get the "adapter" pigtail. I just cut the wires, connected new to old wires.

Great performance from the pump, but has its pros and cons.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I bought the Delphi pump and i didn't get the "adapter" pigtail. I just cut the wires, connected new to old wires.

Great performance from the pump, but has its pros and cons.

The only actual "con" I can think of is that it may not supply enough fuel for a BIG demand setup, like a built, BIG boost scenario, or a big displacement, high compression, HUGE cam deal with crazy large injectors.

In which case(s), YES, one MUST go to at least the higher volume Walbro, or Granatelli units, or if needs be the crazy expensive Aeromotive, or Fuel Lab, etc. in tank pumps.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only actual "con" I can think of is that it may not supply enough fuel for a BIG demand setup, like a built, BIG boost scenario, or a big displacement, high compression, HUGE cam deal with crazy large injectors.

In which case(s), YES, one MUST go to at least the higher volume Walbro, or Granatelli units, or if needs be the crazy expensive Aeromotive, or Fuel Lab, etc. in tank pumps.

Its a great pump no doubt. But my con's are that my pump is not always very accurate, the gasket it came with is a bit to small, the sensor at first would pop out but its been months after the last time it happend. Other than that my old pump must have been dieing slowly because this Delphi pump really feels like a nice power adder.

I bought the fuel pump from amazon and their packagaing for the fuel pump was no existant there was no foam or popcorn to hold the pump in place nor was it wraped in a plastice bag, i am amazed it worked seeing how it was packaged.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I bought the fuel pump from amazon and their packagaing for the fuel pump was no existant there was no foam or popcorn to hold the pump in place nor was it wraped in a plastice bag, i am amazed it worked seeing how it was packaged.
I bought mine from Rock Auto, and it was packed VERY VERY well.

I know what you mean by Amazon's packing being **** poor though, as I once bought some 'boutique' oil from them (Eneos Sustina brand which is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find on a shelf, or even on other web sites) and it was the 6 quart case thrown in a much larger box with NO packing material what so ever.

I guess they have to cut corners somewhere to give those kinds of prices??
Old 02-15-2014, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought mine from Rock Auto, and it was packed VERY VERY well.

I know what you mean by Amazon's packing being **** poor though, as I once bought some 'boutique' oil from them (Eneos Sustina brand which is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find on a shelf, or even on other web sites) and it was the 6 quart case thrown in a much larger box with NO packing material what so ever.

I guess they have to cut corners somewhere to give those kinds of prices??

Well, they lost me as a customer who buys autoparts from them.

Quick Reply: Not getting fuel. Hmmmmm