General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Faint squeak - driver's side rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well then the next thing to check would be your rear sway bar end links. Mi had a 98 trans am that made a popping noise from the end link moving because the bushing was so cracked
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's definitely coming from the driver's rear wheel. With the car off and in gear, if I give the driver's rear wheel a tug (pulling on the wheel spokes) I can feel a little bit of movement and hear the squeak. No such issue with the passenger side rear wheel. I've torqued my lug nuts and H&R hub centric spacers to 100 ft lbs. Not sure what to do next to try and fix this.

Doesn't seem to make a difference if the e brake is up or not with regards to the squeak. I've noticed that my e brake doesn't work worth a damn lately. It will hold the car only if it's pulled up to the very top and even then it's sketchy.

I don't have any sort of a wobble or other noises, but maybe it is the hub/bearings?
Hoping I can fix this without throwing a ton of money at it.

Last edited by calgary_z28; 04-30-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I FIXED MINE MUAHAHAHAHHA death to the squeak...

My fix was pulling back the carpet and lifting a squishy foam insert underneath is the shock mount......unscrew nut remove annoying rubber bushing if yours are stock they are close to flat lol ......I sprayed solid film deposit (the wet version though) since I didn't wanna drop the shock than followed it up with some full synthetic grease packed the crap outta it and that wiggled the shock ...than greased the rubber bushing washer on both sides and the metal washer koni gave me and re attached the nut till it was tight ...mostly the squeak was prolly from me not fastening it down good enough since they are brand new and needed to be worn in a lil ......do this to both sides and just for good measure I did all LCA's.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Launching!

^^Good to hear that you vanquished the squeak demon!

Mine is definitely coming from the wheel itself. I tried to remove my
spacers last night, but it looks like they are stuck to the hub pretty
good. Process of elimination you know.

I tried increasing the torque on the spacer bolts to 110 ft/lbs and it made
no difference. I'm thinking that the hub might have corrosion or debris that
is interfering with the spacers ability to seal against it perfectly. The passenger
rear wheel makes zero noise if I give it a firm pull.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Squeak/clunking from the driver's side rear still persists. I teflon taped the rear sway bar bushings last night at it made zero difference. It's coming from the wheel area for sure. I made a video of where I think the sound is coming from. I can feel a little play (back & forth) in the wheel. Lugs are tight on the wheel and hub centric spacer. Guys at the tire shop say they've never heard of hub centric spacers causing such noises. I'm really at my wits end with this!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

I was getting clunking noises from the rear drivers side over the slightest bump, was driving me crazy. It turned out the single panhard bar bolt was loose . Torqued down every bolt in the rear and noise is completely gone.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewss
I was getting clunking noises from the rear drivers side over the slightest bump, was driving me crazy. It turned out the single panhard bar bolt was loose . Torqued down every bolt in the rear and noise is completely gone.
Tape on end links? Get new poly urethane bushings at autozone and throw them on. They are $12.99 and take twenty minutes to replace. The factory end links are made out of a hard rubber and tape won't fix them. Also make sure the end link bolts are tight
Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Pan-hard bar bolts are tight. Tape went on the sway bar underneath the sway bar bushings, not on the end links. I believe there was a TSB from GM and this was the fix for squeaks from that area. The bushings are in good shape, the noise isn't coming from that area for sure now.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by andrewss
The problem (for me at least) is that these (AND the LCA bolts) ALWAYS loosen up in less than a month NO MATTER WHAT I DO, even blue Loc Titeing ALL of the threads.

But then I AM running a MUCH stiffer, road race oriented suspension setup than most on here.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Launching!

I'm 99% sure I've figured out where this stupid noise has been coming from.

Driver's side rear brake caliper. When I push on the back of the caliper, it creaks and rattles. I tried to tighten up the lower bolt and it sheared on me. It didn't seem to want to tighten.

No such issue exists on the passenger side rear rotor, it's nice and tight. No noise when I press on it.

Anyone ever run into this issue?
Attached Thumbnails Faint squeak - driver's side rear-2014-06-01_20.48.28.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

That bolt is not a high strength one and we've had other folks on the site shear them when over tightening.

The squeak may be due to the caliper bracket and pin. (The bolt screws in to the pin.) Mine are a little bit flat spotted and the pins can easily seize up in the caliper bracket. Do you know if your two pins move freely in side the bracket?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
That bolt is not a high strength one and we've had other folks on the site shear them when over tightening.

The squeak may be due to the caliper bracket and pin. (The bolt screws in to the pin.) Mine are a little bit flat spotted and the pins can easily seize up in the caliper bracket. Do you know if your two pins move freely in side the bracket?
I put a 16 mm wrench on the other side of the bolt so that it wouldn't spin while I tightened it with the socket on the head of the bolt. Snugged it up or rather tried to, but the caliper was still loose. Put a little more elbow grease on it and it snapped.

I'm not too sure. They seemed to be well lubed? Haven't messed around with brakes before to be honest.

*The loose feeling was for sure from the caliper itself, not the bracket.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Save the manuals!

The caliper is supposed to be loose and should slide freely on the pins that the bolt screws in to. This allows the caliper to "float" and balance the pressure on the inner and outer brake pads. The pins transmit the braking force through the caliper bracket, which does not move, in to the car.

The squeak could have been from under lubrication of the pins or the other hardware that holds on the brake pads.

I have an identical problem that I need to tackle here soon. I just got my car back from the body shop and the brakes (taken off and re-installed during the repair) have since developed a squeak. My expectation is that the ***** who put my car back together didn't lube the brakes appropriately. (They sure couldn't figure out how to adjust the e-brake, or even bleed the brake system...)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Launching!

The caliper is supposed to be loose and should slide freely on the pins that the bolt screws in to. This allows the caliper to "float" and balance the pressure on the inner and outer brake pads. The pins transmit the braking force through the caliper bracket, which does not move, in to the car.

The squeak could have been from under lubrication of the pins or the other hardware that holds on the brake pads.

I have an identical problem that I need to tackle here soon. I just got my car back from the body shop and the brakes (taken off and re-installed during the repair) have since developed a squeak. My expectation is that the ***** who put my car back together didn't lube the brakes appropriately. (They sure couldn't figure out how to adjust the e-brake, or even bleed the brake system...)
It's a squeak/loose rattly metal sound that is mega annoying. Every little crack and ripple on the road transmits it into the cabin from that area. There seemed to be grease on the pins. I'm bringing it to the brake shop on Saturday. Hopefully they can get this fixed. I didn't realize that they are supposed to be loose (calipers.) The driver's side felt way looser than the passenger side either way. A distinct clunk/rattle could be heard if I jiggled the driver's caliper. Didn't sound healthy.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Did you check the two caliper bracket bolts?
Old 08-26-2019, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calgary_z28
Snip
Did you check the two caliper bracket bolts?
Did either of you two figure this one out? I seem to have similar symptoms. I can just sit and push on my driver rear tire area and here the squeak. Any subtle body movement causes it too (like closing the door). And it can be pretty persistent while driving, even with true duals, mild cam, and no cats, but I can hear it in the cabin and it’s getting old.

Quick Reply: Faint squeak - driver's side rear