General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ebay wheel bearing/hub assembly

Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ebay wheel bearing/hub assembly

So im putting my car back together and I decided to replace my front bearing/hub assemblies. The car is NOT a dd and will only be driven a few times a month and maybe to the track and back. I've looked at some past threads and most people seem to say timkens are the way to go I was just wondering if they are worth buying if the car is not a dd? I see you can get some front ones off ebay for like 73 bucks. Or should I just take the plunge and buy timkens or moogs? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cstone812
So im putting my car back together and I decided to replace my front bearing/hub assemblies. The car is NOT a dd and will only be driven a few times a month and maybe to the track and back. I've looked at some past threads and most people seem to say timkens are the way to go I was just wondering if they are worth buying if the car is not a dd? I see you can get some front ones off ebay for like 73 bucks. Or should I just take the plunge and buy timkens or moogs? Thanks.

Do they actually need to be replaced (noisy)? Fbody hub bearings are actually very reliable and hardly ever fail. I wouldn't replace them unless they need it.

I bought an Ebay wheel bearing for my old Grand AM and NEVER again. Lasted 3 months. Now I only buy Moog from Advance Auto (search for their discount codes).
Old 03-03-2014, 04:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had a few factory bearing assemblies wear out around 120k or so. You can check um, they get loose and a little rough to turn by hand. Good ones are stiff and very smooth to turn by hand.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstone812
I've looked at some past threads and most people seem to say timkens are the way to go I was just wondering if they are worth buying if the car is not a dd? I see you can get some front ones off ebay for like 73 bucks. Or should I just take the plunge and buy timkens or moogs? Thanks.
There are some parts on a car where I always invest in quality. This is one of those because its a single point of catastrophic failure. Saving $50 is not worth it to me for the off chance that my hub might disintegrate and leave me going down the highway at 75 mph with only three wheels attached to the car.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some and im waiting for them in the mail. the one thing i did look for was that they had LIFE TIME warranty
Old 03-03-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Moog's. So far so good. Been about 6 months.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced my failed OEM hub with a Timken because I enjoy road courses and they came with a 3-year warranty. Will probably give the Moog a shot next time (similar build, similar price, similar quality, arguably better quality).

As stated above, you can save a few bucks on almost any item, however this is one where the cost of "quality" relative to the expense/danger of a failure makes it an easy decision to go with quality.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ebay wheel bearing/hub assembly