General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition Switch Relay Location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Relay Location?

Hi everyone.

I have an issue with my '00 WS6 not starting, again. Had this same issue 10+ years ago and was fixed under warranty at the dealer. At that time it was the ignition switch relay which the dealer said was under the fuse box on the front driver's side fender.

So I'm looking for any wiring diagrams for the front of the car. I haven't been able to find any that show an ignition switch relay.

Also, I have a couple of questions since I have never worked on this car myself.

1) Is the ignition switch relay located under that front fuse block?

2) If it is located under the front fuse block, how to you get access to it to check or replace it?

3) If not - What might be located under that block that might have been replaced? And where is the ignition switch relay located?

If anyone can help me with my questions, or have any diagrams that you can pass on, I would greatly appreciate it!

Dee
Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dee -

Welcome!

The VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) relay is "hidden" so a car thief cannot easily steal it.

The location is behind and to the RIGHT of the glove box, behind some sheetmetal.

You might feel it before you see it, but before you just randomly replace it, check the thin ground wire on the 4 pin connector - if that wire wiggles in the plastic, then the issue might not be the relay, but rather an intermittent open in the ground circuit.

To check the relay, replace with one of the Headlamp relays under the hood, to see if that resolves the problem.

I think your issue might be as simple as a loose ground wire - ask me how I know!

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by great421
Dee -

Welcome!

The VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) relay is "hidden" so a car thief cannot easily steal it.

The location is behind and to the RIGHT of the glove box, behind some sheetmetal.

You might feel it before you see it, but before you just randomly replace it, check the thin ground wire on the 4 pin connector - if that wire wiggles in the plastic, then the issue might not be the relay, but rather an intermittent open in the ground circuit.

To check the relay, replace with one of the Headlamp relays under the hood, to see if that resolves the problem.

I think your issue might be as simple as a loose ground wire - ask me how I know!

Good luck!
Thanks for the quick reply!

I was specifically told at the dealer 10+ years ago that they replaced the ignition switch relay which they said is located under the fuse block on the driver's side fender. So I'm trying to determine if there is such a thing under the fuse block and check that before I proceed in another direction such as a security issue.

While at the dealer they tried everything to fix my ignition problem. They started from the top down when they should have started at the bottom. While under warranty, they want to do the major stuff first. So at that time the VAT was one of the things that they tried which didn't work.

So any idea on this elusive ignition switch relay's location?

Forgot to say, I know how you know... believe me, I know! LOL!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The relay is in a box located towards the front of the driver side fender under the hood. The cover on the box says which one is the ignition switch relay. If I remember right you can switch the ignition relay with the fuel pump relay.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (10-08-2020)
Old 03-20-2014, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ignition relay is basically a big black fuse in the black fuse panel behind the drivers side headlight. On the fuse panel cover itself you will see a diagram depicting your layout of fuses inside the box. If you have your owners manual (which if you had a warranty replacement you should). You can look in the index for the fuse panel diagram

Swap the fan relay for the ignition relay to see if that fixes your problem. If the car starts you need to buy a new relay.

Vats would cause the security light to flash on the dashboard, or stay illuminated. The security light should automatically turn off on your gauge panel after all of the Christmas tree light turns off from putting the key in the run position. If your security light stays on the whole time your key is in the run position it's vats.

Good luck and god bless!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Thank you so much for you help!

Back 10 years ago when this first happened I tried switching a couple of the relays (square black relays) or something in the fuse block up front but that didn't fix it. I haven't been back into the box recently but need to take another look when I find a minute.

The guy I knew that worked at the dealer kept saying relay under the fuse block was bad and he replaced it. I know he took the fuse box out because it wasn't put back correctly so it is a little loose.

I'll check the security light again. I think it did turn off once I had the key in the on position.

I hear a faint clicking at the front fuse block behind the headlight and I believe a faint clicking at the front of the engine. What would be clicking at the front of the motor?

If I just had a wiring diagram I would know what to work through. I work on old cars so I'm not that familiar with all of the electronics on the newer cars.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's start by describing the noise when you turn the key. You said it clicks, are we talking about a lot of clicks or just one? Could be a bad battery
Old 10-07-2020, 10:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Welcome to the forums! We look forward to your contributions.

However, I think they probably resolved the relay issue sometime in the 6.5 years since the last post. And be careful with assumptions about the wiring - 98-02 Camaros and Firebirds have mostly the same wiring but there are some noticeable differences mostly in accessories and optional equipment (stereo, fog lights, etc.) but also in some regular equipment like headlights, PCM wiring, traction control, and a couple of other systems. 93-97 fourth generation f-bodies have much more significant differences. But you're right that the fuse boxes are the same.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Relay Location?