General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

08 Vette clunk in rear, even when car not moving

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Vette clunk in rear, even when car not moving

For the past 3 weeks I've noticed a clunk sound in the rear, usually only around the first few minutes of operating the vehicle. It almost sounds like the trunk got popped open and appears to be coming from the passenger side. This happened while the vehicle was moving.

This morning, I started the car then sat in it while it warmed up, the clunk happened withouth the car even moving. Logically I am assuming this may be a bad shock but I'm no mechanic which is why I'm posting this thread to see if others may have encountered this. I did the bounce test and the passenger side makes a squish noise when pushed down but not a "clunk". Any ideas? Thanks for your time
Old 03-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Not sure if your vette has one but my 05 gto does it also but mine is a gas fume purging system that goes into a charcoal canister so the gas fumes do not go into the atmosphere this is normal.sounds as if you had a mini sub in trunk burrb burrb.just a solenoid doing its job at least on my car.Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tims05allsap
Not sure if your vette has one but my 05 gto does it also but mine is a gas fume purging system that goes into a charcoal canister so the gas fumes do not go into the atmosphere this is normal.sounds as if you had a mini sub in trunk burrb burrb.just a solenoid doing its job at least on my car.Hope this helps.
Just to be clear, you're not talking about the 3 quick knocks when starting right? Once started, after a few seconds/minutes there's 3 distinct knocks from the rear that I found out was normal. This one is just one loud "clump" then I never hear it again until the car has sat for hours.

Quick Reply: 08 Vette clunk in rear, even when car not moving