General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Drivers Side Window Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivers Side Window Problems...

Finally decided to dig into why the front of my drivers side window is sinking a little bit...I knew it was going to be one of 3 things based on what I have read about this problem.

the design flaw has officially bit me...it looks like somebody "probably the only previous owner" attempted to put some bolts in place of the rivets but its not doing a great job of holding the weight...probably because they used little bolts with no support...............................any ideas on how I can tackle this? I was thinking about getting some giant washers to offset the weight and spread it out more, but Im not sure that will work long term...they are hanging on by a thread right now. also, if I remove those two bolts that are tearing away the fiberglass, is my window going to fall? Also, does anybody make a metal plate that you can drop in on top of the fiberglass so you can distribute the weight?

Thanks...

Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is what mine looks like right now. Identical. Doing a good search can find you some answers.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry I'm not helping, here is mine
Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by autogeek23

sorry I'm not helping, here is mine
i've found a boat load of fixes...some use washers, some use a metal plate, etc...my question is, if I take those two bolts out that are pulling on the fiberglass is the window going to fall? I can figure out a fix...but will the window fall down if those bolts fall out? are they holding in the motor or the regulator?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOrangeGuy
the design flaw has officially bit me...it looks like somebody "probably the only previous owner" attempted to put some bolts in place of the rivets but its not doing a great job of holding the weight...probably because they used little bolts with no support
It's not a design flaw, but definitely an issue of improper maintenance. GM warns specifically in their factory service manuals not to do this. GM supplies a special rivet, designed for use on the composite door skin.

This thread has your solution: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

Once you put in a plate, it shouldn't matter too much what you use to attach the regulator since it will no longer be bearing directly on the skin.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
It's not a design flaw, but definitely an issue of improper maintenance. GM warns specifically in their factory service manuals not to do this. GM supplies a special rivet, designed for use on the composite door skin.

This thread has your solution: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

Once you put in a plate, it shouldn't matter too much what you use to attach the regulator since it will no longer be bearing directly on the skin.
I still need the question answered as to whether or not if those bolts come out that the window will fall. I can wedge something below the window to hold it up when I do the work, but how do you get the regulator back up to where its supposed to be? I pulled on the window last night a little bit and the bolts moved maybe 1/4 of an inch so i'll have to do something else to get it back up to the original mounting area...
Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Kinda. In your picture, you can take the four bolts out without problem because there is a "hook" going through one of the holes. (If you look at autogeek23's pictures, that hook is not engaged - in the hold between the top two rivet holes.)

The factory procedure for installing/removing the regulator and motor assembly calls for letting the regulator rest on that hook while the rivets are secured/unsecured.

That being said, if you want to remove the regulator from the door completely, there are some other safety/technical precautions you need to undertake. The regulator is spring loaded and balanced by the weight of the glass. So, when the regulator comes out, the spring has to be locked and the glass otherwise supported.

For the plate repair, you should be able to rest the whole thing on that hook and be fine. For any future motor replacements, you'll want to undertake the shbox method. (Instead of removing the regulator.) So, if you put in a plate, I'd recommend pre-drilling it and the door for future motor replacements.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kinda. In your picture, you can take the four bolts out without problem because there is a "hook" going through one of the holes. (If you look at autogeek23's pictures, that hook is not engaged - in the hold between the top two rivet holes.)

The factory procedure for installing/removing the regulator and motor assembly calls for letting the regulator rest on that hook while the rivets are secured/unsecured.

That being said, if you want to remove the regulator from the door completely, there are some other safety/technical precautions you need to undertake. The regulator is spring loaded and balanced by the weight of the glass. So, when the regulator comes out, the spring has to be locked and the glass otherwise supported.

For the plate repair, you should be able to rest the whole thing on that hook and be fine. For any future motor replacements, you'll want to undertake the shbox method. (Instead of removing the regulator.) So, if you put in a plate, I'd recommend pre-drilling it and the door for future motor replacements.
awesome...this is helping me get down the path of actually fixing it. So I can leave it hanging by the hook which is good news. How would you recommend me getting it lifted up to the original mounting locations? When I lifted on the window, the bolts that are tearing the fiberglass went up maybe 1/4 of an inch. Should I wedge a 2x4 between the window and the metal beam in the door and see if I can lift it higher so the bolts match up with the original rivet locations?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Manipulating the glass will get those in to the correct positions. (This is probably a two person job.) You may have to roll the window down a little bit, which should give you more room to play with the glass.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Manipulating the glass will get those in to the correct positions. (This is probably a two person job.) You may have to roll the window down a little bit, which should give you more room to play with the glass.
yea im thinking i'll need another set of hands as well...thanks for the info and the help.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small correction - the spring will only come unwound if you remove the motor from the regulator assembly itself and its not loaded. You can remove the regulator and motor together as an assembly very easily (in my personal opinion is easier than doing just the motor with the regulator still in the door).
Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Save the manuals!

^ great point.

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Window Problems...