General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical gremlins and fuel problems..oi

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical gremlins and fuel problems..oi

So the first problem goes back a while. I get a code, I velieve p0440. Its the evap emissions control malfunction code. Basically, a lot of the time, even if my tank is empty, I won't be able to put gas in it. The pump will act like the tank is full (pressure build up?), and shut off. I damn near ran out of gas the other week. It stopped doing it for a while, but the last 2 weeks were bad. I've read everything from fuel sending unit, to needing just a new gas cap, or even some sort of charcoal canister, or fuel pressure sensor. Where do I start? Has anyone confirmed exactly what this is? Secondly, in hand with that, my fuel gauge is faulty... It'll show empty, then I'll restart the car, and the gauge will reset where it's supposed to be, such as at 3/4 if I have 3/4. Is this a sensor, or the whole sending unit?

The electrical issue...once in a while my gauges will "flicker"/ Reset, and the radio will stop briefly as if it were a cd skipping. I've read that this has to do with the BCM. The fix is to solder the T points. Is that all that it will take to solve this issue?
Also, When under acceleration, my dash lights and headlights will flicker, and then in higher RPM's, the battery level will drop if im heavily accelerating. Is this normal? I've replaced the alternator with a load boss, and it still does it. Someone also mentioned checking grounds. Has this happend with others? I've read up on threads and people have mentioned grounds, but is that what the fix is?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

As far as the EVAP problem goes; back before you had this problem did you overfill your tank on a regular basis i.e.; NOT stop at the first click off of the pump and keep pumping past that point to get to a certain amount/'round off'???

If so, that could kill the charcoal canister by constantly flooding it and set codes, and maybe even hurt the sender and other sensors back there.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

No i didnt. And up until a few weeks ago, i didnt even know we had a charcoal canister. Still dont know where it is either
Old 04-25-2014, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

It's a tank dropping proposition to change it, unless there is a way to 'cheat' like everyone on here does with the fuel pump by cutting an access hole in the hatch area above the very front/top of the tank, where the canister is located.

Quick Reply: Electrical gremlins and fuel problems..oi