General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering column help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Steering column help

Hey guys,
So today I decided to take down and attempt to repair my steering column tilt play where when the wheel is supposed to be locked it will pull down and to the left. From what I read it was just those 4 bolts at the bottom of the shaft, but it seems like its actually has to do with play in the wheel tilt pivoting pins. anyways I'm trying to put everything back together but this small spring? fell out and I have no idea where it goes back in. I think it goes back somewhere to pull the ignition key back from the starting position but I can't figure it out. I already have the little spring similar to this one installed under where that ignition piece slides over. here is a picture. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well never figured out that that piece was for.... but everything is back together and it didn't work at first.... until I realized the previous owner already bypassed the VATS so when I fixed the broken VATS wire near the key cylinder that I thought I might have broke while working on it and then it didn't start.... unplugged the cable from below and now it starts. Anyways tightening those 4 bolts at the bottom did not fix my tilt play issue big waste of time here. I think I might just take it to the shop and have them take care of it... hopefully won't have to take it to the stealership.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
well never figured out that that piece was for.... but everything is back together and it didn't work at first.... until I realized the previous owner already bypassed the VATS so when I fixed the broken VATS wire near the key cylinder that I thought I might have broke while working on it and then it didn't start.... unplugged the cable from below and now it starts. Anyways tightening those 4 bolts at the bottom did not fix my tilt play issue big waste of time here. I think I might just take it to the shop and have them take care of it... hopefully won't have to take it to the stealership.

would be cheaper to find a good used cloumn
Old 05-18-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
possibly... But I don't want to install it.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This guide may help. http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf
Old 05-19-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Oh man that would have helped a lot! thanks! But I still think I need it to be replaced or at least have the lower housing replaced as the pivot pins go all the way in without needing to be punched...
Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the same freaking problem. I paid to have the bolts tightened at a dealership but they weren't loose... another part was worn and the only way to fix it was to replace with an entire new column, which is $1000. I have easy access to a place that parts out wrecked F-bodies locally, but I'm not comfortable being able to verify the same issue doesn't exist on the used part. I'd feel most comfortable shipping the column to a reputable rebuilder as I haven't found any locally.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I have the same freaking problem. I paid to have the bolts tightened at a dealership but they weren't loose... another part was worn and the only way to fix it was to replace with an entire new column, which is $1000. I have easy access to a place that parts out wrecked F-bodies locally, but I'm not comfortable being able to verify the same issue doesn't exist on the used part. I'd feel most comfortable shipping the column to a reputable rebuilder as I haven't found any locally.
Oh man $1k for a new column? no way we can just get replacement upper and lower housing/assembly's along with a couple of new pivot pins? I'm almost certain those are what is causing the loose tilt issue.

If you check out the column in person you should be able to tell if it has the same problem.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The Dealer will always rip us off...

Here's another thread that might be of interest: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...02-f-body.html
Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
The Dealer will always rip us off...

Here's another thread that might be of interest: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...02-f-body.html
how have I not seen this thread before??? LOL anyways that is for sure the problem I am having... but man what an involved process just to fix that.
They had a link to an oversized pin on it where in there it said that a 1/4" movement is normal? WTF? If I had a Zr-1 and it did that I'd be even more pissed! Sometimes you let me down GM .

Anyways I'm going to be taking it to a local mechanics shop and they have machining tools on had too so maybe they will be able to provide a better answer for me.

Thanks for the link wssix99
Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59

You are correct. It would be way easier to put in a good used column than deal with that nightmare of flying parts bullshit. I remember putting in a tilt column in my 71 Camaro as a 17 year old. Less airbags and radio controls these are basically the same columns.

Just one persons opinion.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Decided to take it to my buddies dads shop and I guess he is very familiar with this problem so I let him handle it and he was able to order the lower housing from the dealer for $130 and then had everything installed and done for $330. So I figured that's not too much and still cheaper than a used entire column so that's good.

The original lower housing had the famed egg shaped holes and had to be replaced.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Any chance you have the part number for the lower housing?
Old 05-28-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any chance you have the part number for the lower housing?
I can get it later today when I get my receipt.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

I ended up buying a complete column off of CL for 75 bucks. No play in the tilt pins at all. Out of a 99 T/A.

I got it from the airbag to the intermediate LS1 shaft with key included. It has controls on the wheel mine does not so I will swap that.

Once in a while you can get a deal off of CL.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
I ended up buying a complete column off of CL for 75 bucks. No play in the tilt pins at all. Out of a 99 T/A.
Were you able to verify the column had no play before you paid? If yes, what method does one use when it's not installed?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Column literally takes 5 minutes to remove once you have the lower dash panel off....
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The lower housing P/N# is GM26016589
Old 06-01-2014, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Were you able to verify the column had no play before you paid? If yes, what method does one use when it's not installed?
Yes I had my 17 year old son lay it on the tailgate with the tilt hanging off. He pinned it down and I tried to move it for slop and verified the tilt and all worked.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my column out and took it to a shop that specializes in rebuilding steering columns. I had the slop in the wheel as well as melting the plastic shims in the column. He rebuilt the whole thing for $300.

Quick Reply: Steering column help