General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C compressor front side seal :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor front side seal :(

The A/C compressor front side seal is leaking on my '94 Z28 Convertible. The car has an automatic 4L60e transmission.

I have seen two different compressors available that fit this car. One version has a wire with a plug coming off of it to power the compressor clutch field coil. The other version has just a small 2 prong male oval connector right next to the pulley.

Also, I have learned that there are two different drive pulley sizes available. One is a 4.3" pulley for the automatic cars, and the other is a 5" pulley for the MT6 cars.

Has anyone replaced their automatic 4.3" pulley with the larger 5" pulley for an underdrive effect?

Another thing, I believe the stock factory fill came with PAG 150 viscosity oil. Lots of aftermarket compressors, especially "new" ones do not specify what weight PAG, while some specify PAG 46 viscosity. Could the newer compressor design running on the thinner PAG 46 be more efficient and help with gas mileage?

I am comfortable doing the work, but I want to hear from some of you guys who did a compressor replacement yourself.

I plan on replacing the expansion valve and drier, but flushing the evaporator and condenser myself. The a/c blows cold right now, and I think I just caught the seal starting to leak. I wanted to replace the compressor before it dies and spreads the black death through the system.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor front side seal :(