General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000TA headlight grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000TA headlight grinding noise

Yep, I have the issue with the headlight grinding whent the pop ups are closed.

Pretty sure it's the gears. So my question is there any guide to replacing them? What is recommended? Flipping them, replacing them OEM or going brass?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Found this thread. Amazing what can happen when you do a search.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-go-here.html

Still, any opinions on replacing vs the 180° fix?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try the 180 fix first
Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy two new motors....install brass gears in each. Install them. Enjoy a decade of use without issues. Sell the used motors on ebay.

Also, make sure you didn't lose a white plastic bump stop cover on either side......That can make them grind on BOTH sides, even if you just lose one on one side.

These headlight motors are like people with schizophrenia.

.....I did a 180 flip fix of my plastic gear about 7-8 years ago, its still perfect.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

I did the 180 fix on mine and it didn't last 5 up/down cycles before it started grinding again and to add insult to injury I now had to start flipping on the lights and running up there to lift the driver light the last .5-1 inch to get it raised up right, I went with the Rodney Dickman kit for 79 bucks (2 years ago next month), very easy to do and his T-brace (something missing from the other versions) effectively clamps that area of the headlight motor so there is no worry of it popping off the epoxied on cover and losing the gear.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I did the 180 fix on mine and it didn't last 5 up/down cycles before it started grinding again and to add insult to injury I now had to start flipping on the lights and running up there to lift the driver light the last .5-1 inch to get it raised up right, I went with the Rodney Dickman kit for 79 bucks (2 years ago next month), very easy to do and his T-brace (something missing from the other versions) effectively clamps that area of the headlight motor so there is no worry of it popping off the epoxied on cover and losing the gear.
I recently ordered his kits too....Im gonna order two new motors and install his kits. My motors are 16+ years old.

His kits are the better ones....

Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

The brass gear is not a permanent fix to the problem, the motor can still eat the teeth on the brass.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
The brass gear is not a permanent fix to the problem, the motor can still eat the teeth on the brass.
Have you heard of anyone whos brass gear also stripped down to a bald spot....?

I only know a couple people who have used the brass gear.....which ruined the worm gear. But it was probably because there was play in the assembly when put back together.

Not sure how the worm gear can hurt that brass......theres quite a few people I know that have had the brass gears for over 12 years now. Bfranker brass gears......

Old 07-14-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427

I only know a couple people who have used the brass gear.....which ruined the worm gear. But it was probably because there was play in the assembly when put back together.

Not sure how the worm gear can hurt that brass......theres quite a few people I know that have had the brass gears for over 12 years now. Bfranker brass gears......

Yeah dopefedz had the problem as well as a few others.

Do what floats your boat, if age is the requirement for the fix then my trans am still has the factory gears on it that haven't even been flipped yet
Old 07-14-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

I've seen one picture on hear a few years back where someone had stripped a brass gear, but when you looked at it it was on the outer edge of the gear and not the middle, this would imply either the worm gear/electric motor was loose relative to the brass gear (the Rodney Dickman instructions say how to tighten that looseness up) or the epoxy had failed and the gear was coming unseated, this was one of the things I liked about the RD gear kit is the T-brace prevents that separation.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I've seen one picture on hear a few years back where someone had stripped a brass gear, but when you looked at it it was on the outer edge of the gear and not the middle, this would imply either the worm gear/electric motor was loose relative to the brass gear (the Rodney Dickman instructions say how to tighten that looseness up) or the epoxy had failed and the gear was coming unseated, this was one of the things I liked about the RD gear kit is the T-brace prevents that separation.
Yea, that's what I was saying. Improper installation or just a loose assembly. That's the only way the brass gear will get damaged over time.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, that's what I was saying. Improper installation or just a loose assembly. That's the only way the brass gear will get damaged over time.

I'm not going through the search page but here is the first result

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538438

You'll notice I posted in that thread as well.

If you want to waste $60 on the brass gear kit to realize the motor and unit were really the problem and then buy another new motor because you're having the same problem again feel free but the best and cheapest solution is a lifetime warranty part at your closest auto part retailer

Last edited by chrysler kid; 07-14-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^ and this would be a LOOSE ASSEMBLY between the metal gear and the worm gear/electric motor sections, see how as you go down the gear the grinding shifts to the left, that is a clear indication of either the worm gear half the body having play or the epoxied housing not being supported properly and allowed to flex pushing the gear off center.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
My statement still stands
Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

the major problem with the motor/gear is there is to much play between the worm and plastic gears. I flipped the gear 180 and use a wave washer between the shaft and cover. have not had any problems with the three I fixed!

Quick Reply: 2000TA headlight grinding noise