General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

replacing headlight motors - bumper or assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing headlight motors - bumper or assembly?

which would be the easiest way to replace the headlight motors on a 2000 Trans Am?
1- Take the front bumper off to have easier access.
2- Take the headlight assembly off the car as a whole. (before I take it off, I would use a marking pen to outline where assembly goes to insure proper alignment when reassembling)
Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I took the headlight cover and black shroud off.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

I only removed the black shroud from the headlight when I did the metal gear replacement on mine.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I only removed the black shroud from the headlight when I did the metal gear replacement on mine.
This is what I did, shroud only. Get a couple of 10mm stubby wrenches or one stubby one ratcheting and you're good to go. 30 minute fix, hardest part for me was getting the electrical connector seated back on the clip attached to the body, had to access this from the bottom.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by T-Rod
This is what I did, shroud only. Get a couple of 10mm stubby wrenches or one stubby one ratcheting and you're good to go. 30 minute fix, hardest part for me was getting the electrical connector seated back on the clip attached to the body, had to access this from the bottom.
funny thing, the connectors is the one thing on the job I don't remember doing at all. I remember having a hell of a time breaking the arm loose from the motor, taking the motors inside, cracking the case open, grasping how/why one motor goes thru with the rod facing one way and the other the other way (and the instructions saying the driverside motor for 98+ is the passenger side for 93-91 and vice versa for the other motor), swapping out the gear including the rubber bumper, adding the grease, epoxying the case back together and using the t-brace when reinstalling and even the cracking sound when I bolted down the passenger motor, but no recollection of the harnesses (obviously I did as I fully removed the motors from the car and took them inside).
Old 09-24-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much was the headlight motor?> where did you get it from? i need both driver and passenger side

Quick Reply: replacing headlight motors - bumper or assembly?