General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

sensors showing incomplete

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sensors showing incomplete

ok i have to smog my car, and i got 3 sensors not getting in the ready state. the vacuum, secondary air pump and o2 sensors. cali just made **** even harder to pass. now ive drivin over 200 miles i noticed those sensors showing that they aren't in the ready state and show incomplete. so they should have kicked in by now. any suggestions on what to look for?
Old 10-08-2014, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following are the steps of the OBDII drive cycle in setting monitors to ready status. Make sure you've satisfied the required condition for each monitor at least once:

Originally Posted by www.obdii.com
Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Accelerate.Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
Are you required to have every monitor ready?
The following users liked this post:
70&02 (11-12-2020)
Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm guessing so. all but those 3 are ready. need to put new terminals on my battery cables. they are loose and keep disconnecting the battery. so im constantly having to squeeze the terminals to make a good connection to the battery. I think that could be my whole issue. this morning it did it again. had to jiggle/squeeze the terminals.

thanks for the info. will do those steps once i fix the terminals.

Quick Reply: sensors showing incomplete