General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help!!!!, starter??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help!!!!, starter??

I recently bought a 2001 WS6 6 speed, 75k on the clock here is my issue.

First, car drives great and the charging system is working properly.
Last week I go to take it for a drive, push the clutch in turn the Key and nothing. Repeat this a few times. Turn on the headlights and then turn key, lights do not dim what so ever when turning key. Starter makes no noise at all, (clicking. etc.)
So then I roll it back in my driveway and jump start it in reverse. Fires rite up, drive it around the block, get back shut it off and it starts up just fine normally 3 to 4 times.
I replace the clutch switch under the dash just for peace of mind even though the original one seemed to function fine.
I assumed problem is fixed car starts every time for the next 4 to 5 starts.

I then clean the inside with doors and rear hatch open for about 25 min, get back in car again and it does the same thing, once again jump it and all is back to normal, I then replace the 5 yr old battery with a brand new battery thinking that was the problem the whole time, new battery in 4 to 5 starts all good. Go out for a long drive this last weekend no problems at all. Starts up each stop we make. Back in the garage it goes. later in the evening brothern law wants a ride, go to start it after sitting for 5 or so hours and it does the Same thing. AHHHHHHH. after trying 2 to 3 times it starts with the key. Go for a drive, come back , turn car off then back on no problem. Started no problem Sunday afternoon when I just checked to see what would happen.

In conclusion I am crossing my Fingers and hoping its the starter, before i replace it, just was curious if anybody else has encountered the same problem?? Also never got any check engine lights during this whole incident.

When starter is on its last leg does is only work periodically?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
Old 10-13-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Start looking at grounds
Old 10-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^ And/or corroded/loose wires.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
^ And/or corroded/loose wires.
Yep to both replies. A buddy of mine just had the exact same problems you are having and it turned out to be a bad battery cable (+). He too kept saying he thought his starter was shot.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Update, car had started fine up until yesterday morning. did not see any corroded wires. I bought a new starter and put it in. When i took out the old one i removed the heat shield but did not remember exactly how it went on when i put the new starter on. Put in on how i thought it was suppose to go. Before taking it off the jack stands i go to test the starter, reconnect the battery and go to crank the car, as soon as i did I lost power to all of the following, ignition, gauges, radio, (the headlights alarm light and dome light all still come on) turn the key on acc, and get nothing and same when in the crank position. So this simple fix is turning into a major headache, any ideas on where to start i'm assuming that heat shield touched a connection on the starter and shorted/fried something. Please help again!!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by driftpinto
Update, car had started fine up until yesterday morning. did not see any corroded wires. I bought a new starter and put it in. When i took out the old one i removed the heat shield but did not remember exactly how it went on when i put the new starter on. Put in on how i thought it was suppose to go. Before taking it off the jack stands i go to test the starter, reconnect the battery and go to crank the car, as soon as i did I lost power to all of the following, ignition, gauges, radio, (the headlights alarm light and dome light all still come on) turn the key on acc, and get nothing and same when in the crank position. So this simple fix is turning into a major headache, any ideas on where to start i'm assuming that heat shield touched a connection on the starter and shorted/fried something. Please help again!!
That really sounds like a power problem. Make sure your alternator connections are tight and not corroded, also check the battery terminals. Also sounds like an engine block ground could be bad as well. Double check your starter wiring and make sure nothing is corroded and everything is tightened.

I used to have issues with my car losing ALL power randomly when I would go to crank. Then It would all come back within a minute or two. Turns out my alternator positive to battery positive was really loose. Goodluck!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

I had a very similar problem about six months ago when I replaced my starter. I would try to crank the car and everything would just die without trying to turn over... dash, all lights, radio, etc. In my case I didn't tighten the positive battery terminal down enough. After I snugged the terminal everything worked fine. Check the simple stuff first and then move to the more difficult fixes after you've ruled the easy stuff out.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

replace the starter relay.

Quick Reply: Please help!!!!, starter??