General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low coolant light came on while sensor was UNPLUGGED

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low coolant light came on while sensor was UNPLUGGED

About a year and a half ago, I had a problem with the low coolant light coming on even though my coolant levels were fine. I unplugged the sensor, taped up the connector and zip tied it off to the side and never looked back....

That is until the low coolant light came on last night while I was driving home! I checked, and the connector is still unplugged and taped off in the exact same spot where I left it 18 months ago!

The light went off after I shut off and then restarted the car, but what gives??? How could the light come on if the sensor is and has been unplugged???
Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a short somewhere. Make sure no moisture has made its way into that connector and shorted the pins. Then you'll have to start tracing wires.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan7
You have a short somewhere. Make sure no moisture has made its way into that connector and shorted the pins. Then you'll have to start tracing wires.
It has been rainy here in NYC the past week or so, so if the connector got wet it could have caused the light to come on briefly?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When the coolant level drops, the sensor shorts and completes the lamp circuit to ground. So if water got into that connector, it could very well short the pins together.

Quick Reply: Low coolant light came on while sensor was UNPLUGGED