General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad front wheel hubs (vids inside)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Bad front wheel hubs (vids inside)?

I'm getting a clicking from my front wheel hubs. It's to the point where I can hear it over my exhaust (LM1) with the window rolled down. Both front wheels make this sound. I have no play in either wheel (grabbed and tried to move wheel at 12 and 6 position and 9 and 3 position). I feel absolutely no resistance turning the wheel and you can't feel the click in the wheel. No grinding sound or feel as I've read from others with bad hubs, but I can't think of what else it could be.
I've attached a video of the front driver and passenger wheels spinning with identical click sounds (might have to turn sound up a little).
Driver
Passenger

These are the original hubs with 108k miles on them...Daily Driver with the rare occasional sprint through the twisty back roads.
If it is bearings, what do you recommend...SKF, Timken, or AC Delco?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

timken, and the duralast brand from autozone has the same part # and are rebranded timkens by the way.

i've replaced hubs twice on my 2500hd, last set were from napa and one started to howl. the bad noisy one with hub removed i can spin by hand much easier whereas the other one took much more force. the new timkens to turn by hand much much force.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moog from Advance Auto using a promo code to order online can be gotten for around 80 bucks using promo code TRT41.

personally I would show it to a mechanic and see what he thinks first, thats what I do, my usual mechanic stays pretty busy and on the simpler things he'll tell what to do so I can do the work myself and save the money.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished replacing front and rear hubs on my lincoln, and they made a noise. I used Moog. Bought 1 duralast front ball joint and ripped the boot just installing it. Stayed with all Moog. I will do the same for the hawk.
I once had a noise on the hawk, that was the front dust shield. Was bent ever so slighty that it made a noise.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking at your video they are worn out. No way they should spin free like that. Replace them.

Quick Reply: Bad front wheel hubs (vids inside)?