General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0174 Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0174 Code

I have a 2002 SS and threw this code 2 months ago. I thought since it says the passenger side bank is lean it could be a catalytic converter problem (there was a recall about this in 2008 which I had one replaced for free) I'm thinking the one that didn't get replaced could now have a problem. Not sure if this problem would sound like a exhaust leak that seems to get louder each day. It even smells like gas which would make sense why I only get 11mpg vs 18mpg. I even replaced the pcv valve assembly since its a pos. I check the fuel pressure today and it reads 55-60psi. I can only think there is a exhaust leak/problem with the catalytic converter or vacuum hose leak I don't know about. Any suggestions?
This video sounds just like my car.

Last edited by 02 Silver SS; 11-08-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,280 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The converter "recall" was actually a warranty extension and not a recall, and this was for P0420/P0430 codes (cat efficiency below threshold). This had to do with coatings wearing off the substrate and causing a reduced oxygen storage capacity of the cat(s) - in other words, increased tail pipe emissions (cat would become a pass-through with little/no ability to scrub the exhaust, but this does not create any vacuum leak nor would it cause a lean condition).

P0174 is not consistent with a converter being below efficiency threshold. Vacuum leak, MAF, etc. would be typical causes, assuming fuel pressure/injectors are normal. If you think you hear an exhaust leak at or near the front O2 sensor, then this could certainly be causing an issue like this as well. But that would have nothing to do with the cat warranty extension issued for '00+ LS1 F-bodies that you mentioned above.

Have you looked at fuel trims on that bank (and also on bank 1)?

Quick Reply: P0174 Code