General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end noise

So I had a leaky seal and axel bearing go out on my drivers side so I pulled it and the seal and replaced it....now ive done this to the other side already aswell. Now the issue I have is its more noisy now than it was before ....like LOUD dull rolling roar. Is this a fluid issue I used a 80-90w w/limited slip in it? or did i do something wrong ?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Did you replace the bearings on both sides when you replaced the seals??

It seems like a TOTAL waste of time/labor if you did not, even if it seemed like they were fine at the time.

This is one of those things where I ALWAYS spent the extra $40.00 or so for quality bearings and replace them while I'm in there already with the c-clips and axles pulled.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Launching!

No I had done the other side a year ago and replaced the axel shaft aswell....this side i didnt cause I had replaced the bearing right away. I thought it might be something with the fluid...I didnt use synthetic I just used regular i didnt see the difference really they both had limited slip in it
Old 11-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I greased the bearings after I installed them, thinking it would help them out until the gear oil got distributed around. Not sure if it helped mine or not.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You say the bearing went out, did you inspect the axle itself for pitting and wear?

What made you think it was the axle bearings making your noise? A leaky seal and rear end noise are unrelated. If the axles looked good and the bearings are new, then it's time to have the rear end rebuilt. Mine sounded like a jet engine spooling up and one of my pinion bearings was pretty much destroyed.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:49 AM
Launching!

Because it sounded like a bunch of loose rocks everytime you go over a bump like something is loose....but not only that when i went out that morning their was fluid coming outta the end and all over the drive way. So I replaced the seal and wheel bearing right than and their.......I usually buy from rockauto and they sell a National roller bearing but since i needed one right away and didnt wanna wait for shipping I got one from oreillys which looked the same...he said it was national but the part said kyoto on it .....either way. Yes i inspected the axel as it is the oridginal their was nothing outta the ordinary ......and the reason I believe the bearing went out so close after changing it was because it appeared to have pulled abt 1/8 so it wasnt fully seated causing an abnormal wear on the seal aswell. When I inspected the bearing it looked fine and everything was normal I just replaced it to be safe. Before their wasnt any rear end noise just the bearing going out now their is noise. I might aswell buy a new rear end altogether at the cost to rebuild nowadays

Quick Reply: Rear end noise