General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Drivers side power seat connection

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side power seat connection

I have a 2000 WS6 and my drivers side seat has no power at all. I've searched the forums and a common problem seems to be the electrical connector can corrode and need replacing. I've read that this connector is under the carpet but I don't know where it is. Do I need to remove the seat to get to this connector, or can I get to it with the seat still in? Sorry for the newb question but I've never had to work with this part of the car before.

Below is a thread that seems to reference this connector, but doesn't mention if the seat must be removed or not...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...wer-seats.html

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Check the circuit breaker first. The seat shares one with the rear defogger and the breaker wears out from the heat.

If your rear defogger doesn't work - just change the breaker. If the rear-defogger works as normal, then you have an electrical problem to trace. The connector is right under the seat and comes out through the carpet. If you look under the seat, you should be able to see the wires coming up.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll try to check it out tonight and hopefully it's something as easy as replacing the breaker. If not, it sounds like the electrical connector can be accessed without removing the seat. We shall see...
Old 01-05-2015, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

A quick update... I pushed the rear defrost button and the orange light just above the button came on, so I assume the defrost works. Is this a wrong assumption?

Also, I pulled the connector apart under the drivers seat and it's a six pin connection. It didn't look corroded at all and actually looked pretty clean for being 15 years old. Is there a way to test if it's getting power with a multimeter?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Save the manuals!

Try using the seat while the defogger is on. If that doesn't make it go off, the breaker should be good. If it goes off under the full load, its bad.

There should just be 2 wires in the 6 pin connector. You can test to make sure you have 12v there.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

The defroster stays on even if I try to operate the seat.

I looked at the connector again under the seat and there are six wires going in and coming out.

Wires going in:
Black, orange, white, gray, darker gray, purple.

Wires coming out:
Black, red, purple, orange, darker gray, pink.

It's the only connector I see under the seat. I haven't been able to check it for power yet though. Is this making sense or am I way off base?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

I wanted to post a resolution to this in case someone has the same problem in the future.

The connector I referred to in my last post was not the right one. The connector I was looking for was much further under the carpet than I originally thought. It was only a two pin connector with an orange and black wire.

In my case the orange wire had corroded on one side and broken loose. Rather than trying to find a new connector I just cut the other three wires off and wire nutted everything back together. Problem solved. I probably should have used waterproof butt connectors but I didn't have any big enough in the garage and was too impatient to drive to the hardware store to buy any. Hopefully this won't bite me later by me having to make this repair again.

I did have to unbolt the seat from the tracks to have enough room to work though. This was the most difficult part of the entire job, but in my case it had to be done to have enough room to strip wires, reconnect, etc.

Hope this helps someone out in the future!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Thanks for posting back.

Originally Posted by JT2000WS6
I probably should have used waterproof butt connectors but I didn't have any big enough in the garage and was too impatient to drive to the hardware store to buy any.
Now is the time to run out to a closing Radio Shack and stock up for next time. I just purchased a ton of these for less than 15 cents a package.

Quick Reply: Drivers side power seat connection