General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! Headlights won't level

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Headlights won't level

I was having a problem with my headlights and it turned out that I needed a new headlight motor. So I went ahead and replaced the bad headlight with a cardone unit and now it won't come back down to the correct level. I've tried adjusting it manually and it doesn't seem to be helping at all. Please tell me someone has a solution.

Here are the after pics...
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Headlights won't level-20150218_180419.jpg   HELP! Headlights won't level-20150218_180411.jpg   HELP! Headlights won't level-20150218_180549.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

how far apart did you take the headlight? it looks like the lid is catching on the hood.

try this, pop the hood and raise it up then cycle the lights on and off and see if it goes down all the way. also where the arm bolts to the new motor is keyed, make sure it's properly seated there.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
how far apart did you take the headlight? it looks like the lid is catching on the hood.

try this, pop the hood and raise it up then cycle the lights on and off and see if it goes down all the way. also where the arm bolts to the new motor is keyed, make sure it's properly seated there.
I've tried adjusting it with the hood up and it doesn't change it either. I took another look at it and it looks like the upper bump stop is out of place. Could that be it?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

I don't see how the bumpstop could have moved, nothing I remember needing to undo to remove the motor ever touched the bumpstop, compare the arm to the one on the otherside to make sure you reconnected it right, I've seen times when the arm was installed incorrectly that caused the light to go up instead of down because the arm was put on backward, but like I said, just make sure the arm is properly seated into the keyed location on the motor shaft and in the proper orientation, that is more likely then a bumpstop issue.

does it raise to the proper height when raised up? if it does you could adjust the headlight lid some to compensate (depending on where those adjustments are currently set).
Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I don't see how the bumpstop could have moved, nothing I remember needing to undo to remove the motor ever touched the bumpstop, compare the arm to the one on the otherside to make sure you reconnected it right, I've seen times when the arm was installed incorrectly that caused the light to go up instead of down because the arm was put on backward, but like I said, just make sure the arm is properly seated into the keyed location on the motor shaft and in the proper orientation, that is more likely then a bumpstop issue.

does it raise to the proper height when raised up? if it does you could adjust the headlight lid some to compensate (depending on where those adjustments are currently set).
They come up perfectly fine and level. The only issue is that one won't come down all the way. It's open over an inch.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I bent my bump stop before while changing the motor. Have you compared the stops on the good and bad sides?

Quick Reply: HELP! Headlights won't level