General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

no power to my ip dimmer fuse on both sides of fuse???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default no power to my ip dimmer fuse on both sides of fuse???

2002 firebird. I was in stalling my gauges to my dimmer switch and a wire touch ground and now i dont have Tail lights, running lights dash lights. Everything else seem to work . I check my fuse with test light and the only fuse that didnt have power was IP 5amp dimmer . No power on either side? Does any one have schematics to help me figure out why i dont have power coming in to the dimmer fuse socket?????
Old 05-20-2015, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rorric
2002 firebird. I was in stalling my gauges to my dimmer switch and a wire touch ground and now i dont have Tail lights, running lights dash lights. Everything else seem to work . I check my fuse with test light and the only fuse that didnt have power was IP 5amp dimmer . No power on either side? Does any one have schematics to help me figure out why i dont have power coming in to the dimmer fuse socket?????
I don't have a schematic, but Chilton does. Have you checked the fuse block under the hood yet?

Found some schematics, courtesy of Gary Doug (a member here). That link is a gold mine!

Last edited by hrcslam; 05-20-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined this group and I am having this exact same problem. Did you ever figure out the fix?! Thanks
Old 06-26-2017, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No tail lights, running lights or dash lights would indicate that the TAIL LPS fuse is blown. Never rely on visual inspection of a fuse - it can look fine but still be blown, especially on a car that is at least 15 years old. Always use a fuse tester or replace with a known good fuse.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked all the fuses with a tester and all good. I was hooking boost gauge, air fuel ratio etc and was in a hurry and forgot to unhook the battery. the only fuse that has no power at all is the ip dimmer fuse. thanks
Old 06-27-2017, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The IP DIMMER fuse comes after the dimmer rheostat in the circuit so power at the TAIL LPS fuse but not at the IP DIMMER fuse would suggest that your dimmer switch is the problem. That is unless you were measuring without the headlight switch being on in which case no power would be normal.

Current flows through the TAIL LPS fuse to the DRL module and to the headlight switch. The DRL module uses it to power the automatic headlights (which you may or may not have since you haven't mentioned what vehicle you have). Current passes through the headlight switch directly to the exterior running lights and to the dimmer switch. It passes through the dimmer switch back to the IP DIMMER fuse and then on to the instrument panel lights.

If you have no running lights (tail lights, side markers, etc.) then it's either the TAIL LPS fuse or the headlight switch. Since it happened while connecting gauges, and that is extremely unlikely to have caused damage to the headlight switch, then we're back to the fuse.

Quick Reply: no power to my ip dimmer fuse on both sides of fuse???