General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Brakes Shaking at 60+ and At Low Speeds Under 60 Too

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brakes Shaking at 60+ and At Low Speeds Under 60 Too

Hey everyone,

My car has been shaking a lot when braking from 60+ and from low speeds. I haven' had the chance yet to change the rotors, calipers, brake pads or even gotten an alignment.

I was reading that it COULD be a warped rotor, tires, over torqued lug nuts or just needs an alignment. I have no clue

I've own this car for about 5 months up to now. I've been trying to fix everything else up to now before I did this but this shaking is very annoying.

Any ideas? '99 Trans Am 330K miles.

Thank you,
LTX_Alex
Old 08-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LTX_Alex
Hey everyone,

My car has been shaking a lot when braking from 60+ and from low speeds. I haven' had the chance yet to change the rotors, calipers, brake pads or even gotten an alignment.

I was reading that it COULD be a warped rotor, tires, over torqued lug nuts or just needs an alignment. I have no clue

I've own this car for about 5 months up to now. I've been trying to fix everything else up to now before I did this but this shaking is very annoying.

Any ideas? '99 Trans Am 330K miles.

Thank you,
LTX_Alex
90% certain that your problem is warped rotors. I had a similar issue with a 2002 Camaro Z28 I had years ago. These cars are notorious for eating through the stock and cheaper rotors. Dont bother getting them turned either, first rain and they'll be warped again.

What happens is when your rotors warp the surface of the rotor becomes uneven and when you hit the brakes the brake pads dont have an even surface to apply to so the vibration you're feeling is the pad pressing deeper into the rotor in some areas, and not as deep in others - I mean these are within fractions of measurements but at highway speeds its very noticable. Not as bad on the street because the speed of which your pads are covering the uneven areas is slow enough that it can transition smoothly enough to not cause vibration..

Replace your rotors AND pads..even if your current pads are still good, when your rotors warp good chance your pads are also uneven so you'll have issues.

EDIT: Oh btw congratualtions on 330K miles :O
Old 08-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
90% certain that your problem is warped rotors. I had a similar issue with a 2002 Camaro Z28 I had years ago. These cars are notorious for eating through the stock and cheaper rotors. Dont bother getting them turned either, first rain and they'll be warped again.

What happens is when your rotors warp the surface of the rotor becomes uneven and when you hit the brakes the brake pads dont have an even surface to apply to so the vibration you're feeling is the pad pressing deeper into the rotor in some areas, and not as deep in others - I mean these are within fractions of measurements but at highway speeds its very noticable. Not as bad on the street because the speed of which your pads are covering the uneven areas is slow enough that it can transition smoothly enough to not cause vibration..

Replace your rotors AND pads..even if your current pads are still good, when your rotors warp good chance your pads are also uneven so you'll have issues.

EDIT: Oh btw congratualtions on 330K miles :O
Thank you so much for the help. I get paid next Friday and on Saturday morning I'll go ahead and change out the rotors and pads. I'll keep you updated when I change it.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes Shaking at 60+ and At Low Speeds Under 60 Too