General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 Trans Am won't start - bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 Trans Am won't start - bad fuel pump?

This car has been sitting for about 2 years awaiting a clutch install, but I try to start it up every 2-3 weeks so the battery doesn't die. About 2 months ago, it took about 5-6 cranks to start the car, and then it idled fine for ~10 minutes. Last month, I tried to start the car and it fires up immediately, but then dies 4 seconds later. It then wouldn't start afterwards.

Battery is good. Fuel filter was just replaced. Fuses for fuel pump are good. When I turn the ignition on, I can hear the pump run for 2 seconds, and then what sounds like fuel running back into the tank. With the key on, fuel pressure is reading 0. I even used a screwdriver to press the Schrader valve in on the DS fuel rail, and nothing comes out. There is a 1/4 tank of gas in the car.

Can the fuel pump be the culprit, even though it runs for a couple of seconds when the key is switched on? TIA.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

What voltage are you getting out of the battery? Fuel pump needs enough amps, not just voltage to properly turn on? When you turn you key to run do you hear the fuel pump prime itself? If not check your fuses and connections. I am betting its a weak battery if it's been sitting around a lot, clogged fuel filter possible ,or worst case scenario that fried your pump.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What about fuel, is it 2 year old?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vikingramair
What about fuel, is it 2 year old?
Fuel is pretty old, I'd add ~2 gallons via fuel can so I could start it and get the fluids running.

Originally Posted by McGinnis
What voltage are you getting out of the battery? Fuel pump needs enough amps, not just voltage to properly turn on? When you turn you key to run do you hear the fuel pump prime itself? If not check your fuses and connections. I am betting its a weak battery if it's been sitting around a lot, clogged fuel filter possible ,or worst case scenario that fried your pump.
Battery was weak, so I took it back to Autozone for a replacement since it was under warranty. I do hear the fuel pump prime itself, and I just replaced the fuel filter last night. Still won't start.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 99 Trans Am won't start - bad fuel pump?

You got 0 psi? That's your problem. If you got enough juice to turn the starter, you definitely have enough for the fuel pump. Pull the fuel pump, you probably have a hose loose in the tank of you can hear the pump running, but get 0 pressure.

Quick Reply: 99 Trans Am won't start - bad fuel pump?