General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pinion Bearing Problem or Axle Bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Bearing Problem or Axle Bearing??

My car has been making a humming noise in the rear of my 1997 Camaro, the faster I go, and I'm not sure which bearing is causing this noise. When I brought it to a shop to diagnose, there was a lot of uncertainty in their voice when they said that the axle bearings need to be replaced. If it is the axle bearings, I am willing to do them myself. My question is, is there a chance that the pinion bearings could be the issue? Do these things regularly go bad? And what can I do to test which bearings need replacing?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Realistically the proper way to diagnose the rear is to simply pull the cover, drain the oil, pull the axles then pull the carrier. At that point you can inspect EVERY bearing and part in there. Then you know what it needs exactly and can easily just put it back together until you get the proper parts. Good Luck Grasshopper.

If anyone tells you otherwise they are full-o-poop
Old 12-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Realistically the proper way to diagnose the rear is to simply pull the cover, drain the oil, pull the axles then pull the carrier. At that point you can inspect EVERY bearing and part in there. Then you know what it needs exactly and can easily just put it back together until you get the proper parts. Good Luck Grasshopper.

If anyone tells you otherwise they are full-o-poop
Thanks for the brutal truth lol. I also forgot to mention that the left axle seal is bad because it slightly leaks some diff fluid. Is this any indication that the axle bearings could be going?
Old 12-21-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Do the axle bearings. Odds that its a pinion are slim if it's never been run out of gear oil and the nut isnt backed off.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

I think I will just start with the axle bearings considering that left seal is leaking anyway. Then I will go from there. If it is the pinion bearing (which you never know I guess), then I will do my research and replace it down the road. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to point yourself in the right direction...... Bad/worn/dirty/poorly lubed bearings make noise and heat, you should be able to feel or temp gun which bearing it is (it will be significantly warmer).... And I am not full of poop...the last place I worked was manufacturing bearing grinding machines.

Last edited by Won-Ton; 12-21-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Wrong I spell
Old 12-21-2015, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by clrusso21
Thanks for the brutal truth lol. I also forgot to mention that the left axle seal is bad because it slightly leaks some diff fluid. Is this any indication that the axle bearings could be going?
Yes that is a sign the bearing may be bad. Also Axle bearings will make very noticeable WHOOPING sound @45 or so when they are worn. I personally like to inspect the entire rear so there are no surprises later. Be sure to clean the axle housing tubes if any bearings have failed. Failure to clean the tubes may cause damage to the new bearings.

You may also notice the axle bearing doesn't look or feel bad but the axle itself will be chewed up, replace the bearing anyway.

Quick Reply: Pinion Bearing Problem or Axle Bearing??