General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 sensor issue/p0174

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 02 sensor issue/p0174

So I can't pass emissions. I went they all the fuel injector cleaner and basic stuff like that already and am settled on it being my 02 sensor. 3 years ago I replaced it and that's how I passed as I was getting the same code. I'm convinced it burned out again as I have the same code and there is all kinds of carbon build up on it. I have LT headers, ported maf, ported tb, predator diablosport tune, no cats, and slp powerflo exhaust. That's it for the "go fast" parts. I will have had the car for 5 years this August and never had it tuned, not sure when the last time the previous owner did. He was the one who did the mods. If I do need it tuned, is this the same tune as a 500 dollar dyno tune that everyone talks about or something different/less costly? And does anyone have the actual denso part number for a rear 02 for LT headers? I've been trying to find it but not much luck I need the wires to be 20" in length. I read you could use corvettes 02 sensor, but feel that's kinda unnecessary plus they're more expensive. Also, seeing as how I don't have cats in assuming I could have the rear 02 reading tuned out as it's pretty much useless, but wondering if I'll still be able to pass emissions.. As that's my main concern right now cause I can't get the car reregistered til I do. I take it they aren't tuned out right now because I get a reading for LTFT on my diablosport tuner, I'm not sure how those numbers would read if they were tuned out or not
Old 05-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

Some carbon on the sensor is normal. If you spent your life living in exhaust, you'd have some on you, also. Do you have pics?

What kind of air filter are you using? This could be why you are burning these out...

I have to ask the "Captain Obvious" question... If you don't have cats, how could you possibly pass emissions anyway? Do you have a scan-only test?

Are you really just after the part number to use here for the LT headders?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Some carbon on the sensor is normal. If you spent your life living in exhaust, you'd have some on you, also. Do you have pics?

What kind of air filter are you using? This could be why you are burning these out...

I have to ask the "Captain Obvious" question... If you don't have cats, how could you possibly pass emissions anyway? Do you have a scan-only test?

Are you really just after the part number to use here for the LT headders?
I can get a pic when I'm home later today, it's completely covered in black tho, seems to be pretty thick and on there pretty good as well, as I had to apply pressure for it to come off on my thumb, as opposed to just touching it and having it rub off on me.

Right now I have a k&n drop in into the slp air lid. I changed that last fall from a paper stp air filter, which is what I had in there when I got the code.

The previous owner said he got it thru emissions with out the cats, and I passed one time 3 years ago without cats. On the paper work they give me it does say "visual inspection". One place I brought it to failed me cause of that (amongst other reasons), another place doesn't seem to care and they write that it passes the visual test... Good enough for me lol

And yes just for the long tubes. I was/am considering just cutting my old wires and splicing them on to the new ones, I'd just rather have the actual product designed to go that far of a distance
Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

That shiny spot is where I rubbed it with my finger
Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Yea, that's a lot. Have you checked the other side? BTW - If you put them back, be sure to use anti-seize compound on the threads so they don't fuse to the headers.

If the two are different, that might indicate something aims internal to the engine beyond what a tune would take care of.

I don't know the p/n for long tube sensors, but you should be able to do a search to find threads that discuss them. The topic has come up often in the past.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Yea, that's a lot. Have you checked the other side? BTW - If you put them back, be sure to use anti-seize compound on the threads so they don't fuse to the headers.

If the two are different, that might indicate something aims internal to the engine beyond what a tune would take care of.

I don't know the p/n for long tube sensors, but you should be able to do a search to find threads that discuss them. The topic has come up often in the past.
i never bothered pulling the driverside as that code was never thrown, at least not for a substantial amount of time where it wouldn't go away. ill try to pull it by wed tho just to see and compare.

on a side note about the driver side, I notice a sensor receiver plug dropped down over the trans around the same spot on the car in reference front to back as the driver side 02 sensor, but it has nothing plugged into it. my driver side 02 goes up towards the front of the car in a tight spot between my header and I think bellhousing if I remember right. any idea what the one that isn't being used is for? cause I'm sure something is probably supposed to be plugged in lol
Old 05-02-2016, 05:43 AM
Save the manuals!

I would guess that you have empty plugs for the post-cat O2 sensors, which you probably have tuned out of the system.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

If that were the case, which maybe it is, how/why would I be getting a reading for those 02 sensors on my scanner ?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by mezzoni
If that were the case, which maybe it is, how/why would I be getting a reading for those 02 sensors on my scanner ?
You could have simulators plugged in to the ends:
Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Ohhhhhh so that's what those look like. I thought it was an entire dummy unit that actually went into the header
Old 05-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Ohhhhhh so that's what those look like. I thought it was an entire dummy unit that actually went into the header
Depends on who makes them, but there will be a plug with nothing coming out of it or a small dingle-berry to nowhere.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

So today is the first day it hasn't rained since I last posted on here, so I got under the car and pulled out the driver side 02 and much to my deight..

So these go in right to the side of the header collection, or whatever that's called where the 4 pipes become 1, and I don't see any other sensors, along the headers. Also they're plugged in way up front, so I'm thinking these are the front 02's? And I don't have rear 02's at all possibly. I don't have any fake ones installed, I just have two extra ones that have nothing into them. One was dragging against the ground by the previous owner cause the side of it is worn away. I just don't get how I get a rear 02 reading when, that changes depending on what I'm doing in the car, If I have nothing in those connections at all.

This is where the drivers side was/is plugged into

This is the driver side that wasn't being used

This is passenger side that wasn't being used (actually found it stuffed up between the trans and trans tunnel)

And this is where the passenger side was plugged into
Old 05-05-2016, 06:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Your rear sensors are probably just dealt with in your tune, then.

So, it looks like the sensors are about the same on both sides, then?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Your rear sensors are probably just dealt with in your tune, then.

So, it looks like the sensors are about the same on both sides, then?
Yea I'd say they are pretty comparable, what would cause it to produce so much carbon tho? Also that driver side one has been there since I got the car nearly 5 years ago the passenger side I replaced 3 years ago.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yea I'd say they are pretty comparable, what would cause it to produce so much carbon tho? Also that driver side one has been there since I got the car nearly 5 years ago the passenger side I replaced 3 years ago.
bad tune, bad air fuel ratio, malfunctioning MAF sensor, etc. I assume a lot of different issues could cause it to run slightly rich for excess carbon buildup.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
bad tune, bad air fuel ratio, malfunctioning MAF sensor, etc. I assume a lot of different issues could cause it to run slightly rich for excess carbon buildup.
I'll have to try the MAF sensor next, either way it's probably safe to say I need new 02's as well tho right ? I cleaned the MAF/TB but didn't actually replace any sensors there. The bad air/fuel mix could be a direct result of the MAF sensor or a bad tune tho correct ? I assume my injectors are clean I dumped in a bottle of seafoam a while back
Old 05-08-2016, 04:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks just like my sensors did after a bad tune lol. Yeah, you'll need new o2 sensors.

Quick Reply: 02 sensor issue/p0174