General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Do I need to replace weather stripping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to replace weather stripping?

98 z28. Water gets in from top corners of both windows. T-tops are ok. is there a kit or a way to tighten the bind of the window when the door is closed?
Old 09-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The weatherstripping doesn't commonly go bad, but there are some common issues that cause bad sealing there:

- First, check for a window guide problem or a regulator mounting problem causing window geometry issues or bad sealing:
Need fix for window guide
Window doesnt't go up all the way...Pics included

^ You'll need to take the door panel off to check for this and do do any adjustments, no matter what.

- If the inside of your door is intact and proper, you can follow the shbox door adjustment instructions. If your glass is off, it could be from a number of things, so I'd suggest starting at step 1 and going through everything. (In general, you can't skip through these steps as they build off of each other.) http://shbox.com/1/adj_window.html
Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bluels1
98 z28. Water gets in from top corners of both windows. T-tops are ok. is there a kit or a way to tighten the bind of the window when the door is closed?
This also sounds silly but make sure those screws that hold the weather stripping down at the corner of your T-Tops, Windshield, and Driver/Passenger Side Windows are present. If they're not, water WILL seep right through it and splash in places of your interior you would think unthinkable. I had horrible leaks in my car to the decree where heavy rain would literally fill up my trunk with water and I couldnt figure out the culprit. I at first thought it was the glue deteriorating on the rear windshield until I noticed those screws were missing. After replacing them, no more leaks for over a year.

Quick Reply: Do I need to replace weather stripping?