General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible bent pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bent pushrods

I pushed my car to ~5000-5500 RPM today while in 1st gear. I know it's not at the redline/rev limiter, but should I have to worry about bent pushrods or damaged valve springs? Is there any way to tell if I have either of those problems without having to physically remove the parts in question? Would there be an SES code if something were to go wrong? My car has the "cold start" tick, but other than that the car feels normal

Car in question is a relatively stock 2001 Z28 (just aftermarket headers and exhaust)
Old 10-19-2016, 01:21 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

5500rpm, especially under load, should not hurt anything inside an LS1 unless the engine was already weak in some area. Valve springs, pushrods, and everything else were designed to withstand the factory 6200rpm rev limit. 5500rpm is nowhere near the danger zone.

I'm curious about why you think this would be an issue in the first place? What has happened/changed to make you think something is even wrong?

But to answer your general question, if something was bent/broken badly enough within the valve train to cause a misfire, you would see a P0300/P030x (x = 1-8, each representing a cylinder.) If it was minor, you might just hear a constant tick (not just cold start noises - which is usually piston slap.)
Old 10-19-2016, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am just the "worrying" type. As of lately, my car has had some problems; these problems aren't severe, but are enough to ruin anyone's day. At this point every squeak, rattle and tick I hear fills my mind with worse case scenarios. For example, everytime I start my car when it's cold, it ticks faintly for a bit until the engine is warm. I just can't help, but think "What if _____ broke?" or "Is that normal?" or "Something must definitely wrong.". And also I am not the most mechanically inclined person so that makes it a bit harder if it ever comes to fixing the issues in question. But aside from that I will definitely look out for those misfire codes. Thanks

Quick Reply: Possible bent pushrods