General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water leaking through roof.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Water leaking through roof.

99 Z28.
There's a large slot / hole between where front of my T-Tops meet the windsheild dead in the center (Just infront of that black bar that the T-Tops slide into thats dead in the center of the car.) Normally a plastic slot slides into place here but mine has long been missing. Without it there, there is a hole I can literally slide a quarter into and it will literally fall in my car right infront of the rear view mirror at the windshield. When it rains, the very front part of my headliner just drenches and drips with water and its super annoying as water drips down right infront of my rear view mirror. What is supposed to be here to stop the water from getting into my car? I've tried glue but it did not help.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you talking about the seals that go on that center bar? You posted last year that you were able to glue them back on: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-question.html
Old 12-01-2016, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Are you talking about the seals that go on that center bar? You posted last year that you were able to glue them back on: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-question.html
Yeah thats it.. Unfortunately the glue seems not to be holding up anymore and Im wondering why there is a slot there to begin with.. Would it be wise to have someone try to weld something more permanent in that area (if thats even possible) or what would it take to permanently seal that area?
Old 12-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Save the manuals!

If you still have the original rubber pieces, the proper glue is regular super glue. (I had to search for that for a very long time when I replaced mine 6-7 years ago.)

The super glue is still holding strong.

Even still - a bunch of us have theorized that those rubber pieces are just cosmetic. If water gets in there, it should still be caught by the gutters around the T-Tops.

There should be rubber tape under the t-bar that the rubber pieces attach to and they should also have black sealant in the screw holes. I wonder if you are actually getting water in those screw holes?

No matter what you do, I would remove the t-bar and put silicone or weatherstrip adhesive in all the screw holes before re-installing the t-bar. I'll bet that will take care of your water infiltration.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

if you really want them...

http://www.tickperformance.com/gm-t-...camaro-firebird/

that piece is more cosmetic than anything. id remove the black T bar and re-glue it back to the car and fill that cavity with silicone. that is likely your problem.

Last edited by bigsticksupra; 12-02-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you still have the original rubber pieces, the proper glue is regular super glue. (I had to search for that for a very long time when I replaced mine 6-7 years ago.)

The super glue is still holding strong.

Even still - a bunch of us have theorized that those rubber pieces are just cosmetic. If water gets in there, it should still be caught by the gutters around the T-Tops.

There should be rubber tape under the t-bar that the rubber pieces attach to and they should also have black sealant in the screw holes. I wonder if you are actually getting water in those screw holes?

No matter what you do, I would remove the t-bar and put silicone or weatherstrip adhesive in all the screw holes before re-installing the t-bar. I'll bet that will take care of your water infiltration.
So basically black bar that extends from the windshield to the frame of the car just above the rear seats (Its late and I can't think of the name of it but the frame area just before the rear hatch thats USUALLY painted Black if it's a Camaro) - down the path of the center of the T-Tops - That long black bar the outer edge of both T-Tops slide into?

The screws there are really really tight. I can't budge them with a normal screw driver and am afraid of stripping the heads of them. But basically you believe that the water is coming in from there? I mean. I can try that, but why am I also able to literally slide objects into the roof of my car from the place where that plastic piece is when there's no glue there? Is that normal? If it is, it sounds like that the gutters are supposed to be catching water and draining it before water builds up to that area... ...is it possible my gutters are overflowing and the water builds up and comes through my roof instead?

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
LOL - I mean.. $50 is cheaper than a new carpet and headliner.. I might just go and do it but thats still kind of pricey for such a small piece.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
So basically black bar that extends from the windshield to the frame of the car just above the rear seats
Yea, that's what I'm calling a "t-bar". (made up term)

The screws there are really really tight.
Probably because they are sealed.

but why am I also able to literally slide objects into the roof of my car from the place where that plastic piece is when there's no glue there? Is that normal?
That doesn't sound right. Can you post a picture. If the roof panels/gutters have come apart on you - then that's a different deal. Can you post a pic?

If this is your problem, these flaps on the end of the trim won't help much and you'll also need to remove that center prim (t-bar) to evoke a permanent repair.

LOL - I mean.. $50 is cheaper than a new carpet and headliner.. I might just go and do it but thats still kind of pricey for such a small piece.
This thread beats that topic to death: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...endations.html

If you still have your old ones, I wouldn't hesitate in re-using them.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll get a photo tomorrow - thats my off day.

Quick Reply: Water leaking through roof.