General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My old car never leaked any oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My old car never leaked any oil

I got hooked on LS engines when I put one in my ’62 Chevy II 12 years ago. Back then it was a bit unusual so this site helped a lot. Had to sell my Nova but still wanted a fun car so I bought a 2002 WS6 with a 6 speed. I knew it needed a few things done to it but since the engine in my Chevy II (from a 1998 Camaro SS) did not leak a drop of oil and now this thing seems to leak everywhere I am bummed.

One of the pictures shows the oil slick it left after the car idled in my garage for 15 minutes. Seems like the leak must have pressure pushing it to me with that size leak but I am not sure. I have read about the rear main seal and housing gasket leaking. There are oil drops at the weep hole between the engine and bell housing but I took one of the plastic covers off opposite the starter and there did not seem to be a lot of oil in there.

I also read that oil pressure sendor leaks are common but I can’t see or feel the back of the block up there.

I put dye in the oil and the bottom of the oil pan on the back, the bellhousing, and oil filter glowed and so did the starter bolts. At this point I am leaning towards taking the intake off and checking the oil sendor and fixing the PCV system. If the valley cover and knock sensors look suspicious I will deal with them.

The car seems like it will be fun but the oil leaks have got to go. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails My old car never leaked any oil-2017-01-03-16.52.31.jpg   My old car never leaked any oil-2016-12-13-11.01.26.jpg   My old car never leaked any oil-2016-12-11-16.05.27.jpg  

Last edited by Novas Forever; 01-04-2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would certainly check the sending unit.

Another thing to consider: the LS is different than many in that full oil pressure runs through the pan rail from the block on its way to the oil filter. You could be leaking between the block and the pan, pan to oil filter. There have also been some reports of oil filters with leaks but I haven't personally seen that.

There is also a slight possibility that the rear barbell is leaking but that should technically be an internal leak--pressure loss only.

Last thought: oil pan and cover alignment is critical on LS engines. Has any of that been apart that you know of? If the oil pan is not aligned properly and sticks out past the end of the block just a little, once the bell/trans is bolted on, it can tweak all that and cause leaks.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response Mercier. Supposedly the clutch has been replaced recently but at this point I don't trust anything I have been told about the car. I think I am going to take off the intake and look at the oil sensor. I can take a look at the PCV hoses and fix them like I am sure they need. If that doesn't take care of it out comes the trans to check the rear seal and housing. Might as well pull the pan at the same time. This is a lot different than the '98 LS I had in my Nova.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I had the same thing happen. My car never leaked any oil; then it started. After a few months there was serious puddling. Tracing it, I thought it was the OP sensor. Turned out to be the rear main seal. Given the amount of oil, I think that's what you're going to find.

Quick Reply: My old car never leaked any oil